The Future, is it imbalanced?

Well after much playing and likewise much holidaying on Football Manager 2010, i cant help but think it still feels a tad unrealistic on the relegation promotion side, sure the odd miracle story occurs but on the whole it seems pretty strange at times, for example, a look at one stat would suggest:

1999/00 - 11 Teams not currently in the top division (i think)

yet on many of my games not only are the same teams consistently finishing in good positions and not being threatened by relegation for 20 years but teams who do fall from the premier league seem to instantly get back up in most cases without too much effort despite how crippling debts can be on this occasion.

a recent game for example in the 2019-20 - 5 teams not currently in the top division, and however it may look at the moment that premier sides will not be moved, there are bound to be more than a measly 5 sitting in the top division that aren't now.

I would however like to mention though that this game is still the best in terms of simulation purposes and the idea that something interesting in the future might happen, i just would like to get everyone elses opinions on the pain and glory of relegation promotion in the game and whether it really is a realistic depiction.

I understnad where your comming from Shaun but don't forget that today the gap between the EPL and the Championship and the lower leagues is as big as ever due to the amount of money being thrown around in the EPL , foreign investment, TV rights.....the list goes on. There is such a gulf that you will get like at the minute IRL the yo yo clubs of around 5 who will keep getting promoted and relegated for many years with the odd team being thrown in for good measure. Football is becomming more of a business than a sport IMO each day and will comtinue to do so in the near future with the big clubs getting bigger and the smaller clubs getting worse and eventually folding. :(

Yeah, come to think of it you have got a point, its a darn shame to be honest though, i edited the nation rules for england to a more representative fashion, and the clubs got richer and richer, has anyone tried making parachute payments in minus numbers, i might try it, after all sure there are yo-yo clubs but they are yo-yo clubs running thin on the money side of things, sometimes i think the game is too lenient with financial troubles.

More often than not yes, they didnt leave, morale perhaps does not decrease enough, and i often found that the relegated teams were loaning good youth players from premier league sides, all this even when increasing the championship's reputation to 14 which i believe is a lot more realistic when you measure it against other leagues in europe with statistics showing that many people watch the championship.

Well i am going to test the killer parachute payments thingamajig now, i mean wigan coming down with 50 million loan debt and then getting back up with ease, with all due respect that is pretty unrealistic with the way the financial climate is at the moment.

More often than not yes, they didnt leave, morale perhaps does not decrease enough, and i often found that the relegated teams were loaning good youth players from premier league sides, all this even when increasing the championship's reputation to 14 which i believe is a lot more realistic when you measure it against other leagues in europe with statistics showing that many people watch the championship.

Well i am going to test the killer parachute payments thingamajig now, i mean wigan coming down with 50 million loan debt and then getting back up with ease, with all due respect that is pretty unrealistic with the way the financial climate is at the moment.

But if as you say Wigan retain all of their players, then on that basis alone they should at least manage a playoff spot.

However in reallife the newly promoted teams look to poach the better players of the clubs going the other way, if only for the fact they have EPL experience.

I would like to draw your attention to the current Championship table

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/eng_div_1/default.stm

Notice Newcastle and West Brom occupy the top 2. West Brom are 5 points ahead of Cardiff, and Newcastle a further 4 points up with a game in hand.

Granted Middlesbrough are a little further adrift but I can't remember a time when there weren't yo yo clubs...

It isnt about yo yo clubs not being realistic, its more of a different teams getting their chance thing, it don't matter if the team that goes up only stays a few years, the past also tells us that its not always the yo yo clubs that do get in the premier league granted it is not a regular occurance but it certainly cannot be forgotten, there was a time when swindon were a top division team and of course Leeds (who i support) who massively overspended, perhaps making the finances a much tighter issue might cause a more realistic future, and i am aware of west brom and newcastle occupying that place, but in most cases these are two teams who west brom - yo yo and b - newcastle a fairly long established team unlikely to falter due to various reasons.

I hear where you are coming from, but on one hand people want the game more realistic and then on the other they are unable to play it as unrealistic.

I distinctly recall somewhere reading someones post about how angry they were because they missed out on Europe because their team had been handed some penalty points for financial infractions.

LAM

Archived