Crossing Attribute

I presume crossing in the game is for players crossing the ball into the box when running down the wings, but what I do not understand is why this is in the set-piece category as i dont believe this is a set piece thing.. can someone explain. thanks

I presume crossing in the game is for players crossing the ball into the box when running down the wings, but what I do not understand is why this is in the set-piece category as i dont believe this is a set piece thing.. can someone explain. thanks

I could be wrong, but I have heard that crossing can, in some way play a role in Corners.

Well I reckon it makes the Set Pieces category worthwhile.

I reckon if you didn't have crossing in it, a lot of people would not train players in it, making creating schedules that little bit easier. This way, you have to utilize nearly all categories.

Well I reckon it makes the Set Pieces category worthwhile.

I reckon if you didn't have crossing in it, a lot of people would not train players in it, making creating schedules that little bit easier. This way, you have to utilize nearly all categories.

Although training is very simplified, you have to keep in mind that in the real world there isn't much teams can do to focus on crossing practice.

In reality, it's only really from corners, practice matches and a few drills you can do. So out of all the options, Set piece training actually does have the biggest influence on a players experience at crossing.

As for the actual FM mechanics, I don't know if the way the training groups are split means that you only gain those stats for training in that specific schedule, or if it's just showing us which stats will benefit MOST from a specific schedule.

IRL, coaches do work on crossing. It's a very important aspect of training.

Not just from an attacking sence, but also for defending purposes.

There are many drills that are fundementally the same but can be used to teach attacking or defending.

Also, if you take a look at goalkeeper training, you will see the default setting includes some set piece training ... Thats for defending purposes obviously.

Crossing and corners should really be very similar types of training and the "Curls Ball" prefered training move is also handy for these.

Ive always thought you should be able to coach a player in FM to do different types of crosses like "Drill the ball across" etc and I always like to see crosses behind the defensive line IRL. Not much point in lofting crossses over if your strikers are 5ft6.

One last point, I find it strange that players have 18 for corners and 10 for crossing, especially wide players.

This is the one attribute I just can't understand. What does it mean if a player has 20 for corners, but only 1 for crossing?

It means he's accurate when the ball's not moving, he's stationary and not under pressure.

Having said that, I agree that it's an aspect of training that needs re-examining. There's other anomalies like defenders' need composure and concentration and they're in attacking regimes.

It means he's accurate when the ball's not moving, he's stationary and not under pressure.

Having said that, I agree that it's an aspect of training that needs re-examining. There's other anomalies like defenders' need composure and concentration and they're in attacking regimes.

But a high crossing attribute is also needed for a good corner-taker. If a player is terrible at crossing then how can he possibly be any good at corners?

But a high crossing attribute is also needed for a good corner-taker. If a player is terrible at crossing then how can he possibly be any good at corners?

Isn't the "Corners" attribute the player's ability to decide the best place to put the ball, and then the "Crossing" attribute is the players ability to actually put the ball in the place he decides to put it.

I.e.

Player has Crossing 1, Corners 20, he can see the absolute perfect place to put the ball - right into the path of a particular player, for example, but he has such poor crossing ability that when attempting to make that cross he is actually more likely to miskick it so badly that he puts it behind his own goal line for a corner to the other team.

Sort of like how the "Long Shots" and "Free Kicks" attributes work (I think)... A player with high "Long Shots" can spot when a long shot is "on", but that player still needs "Technique" and "Finishing" to strike the ball correctly and "Strength" for the ball to make it as far as the goal at a reasonable pace.

Equally a player with high "Free Kicks" knows just what he should be trying to do with the free kick, but whether he is successful still relies on his passing, crossing, or long shots and finishing skills.

^^This is only speculation, but I think this is how these attributes work, anyway.

fly2u,

I think you are right about free kicks, but I am sceptical of your explanation of the Long Shots attribute. This is what the FM manual has to say about Long Shots:

This is the player’s prowess at shooting from distance – from outside the penalty area. It is largely a stand-alone attribute but pay attention to any PPMs the player may have which complement their long shots rating.

The "stand-alone" part seems to contradict your hunch, but it wouldn't be the first time that the manual has contained misleading claims. The entry on corners is not particularly informative:

This attribute reflects how well the player takes a corner. Taking advantage of set-pieces is important, and having a capable corner taker to put the ball into key areas is useful.

The first part implies that it is a stand-alone attribute, but then the second sentence sounds like it might be describing what you talk about.

fly2u,

I think you are right about free kicks, but I am sceptical of your explanation of the Long Shots attribute. This is what the FM manual has to say about Long Shots:

The "stand-alone" part seems to contradict your hunch, but it wouldn't be the first time that the manual has contained misleading claims. The entry on corners is not particularly informative:

The first part implies that it is a stand-alone attribute, but then the second sentence sounds like it might be describing what you talk about.

Hi!

Thanks for that, I should've thought about looking in the manual. :D

Now, if we had a proper paper manual this year instead of an electronic one, I might've read it already. ;)

I'm happy to be wrong about long shots... I've got a young midfielder with 16 for longshots and reasonable joe-average midfielder attributes but his finishing isn't great so I was waiting for him to improve a bit before giving him proper first team action.

I'll start chucking him on the field occasionally now that I know I was malhunchioning.

edit: oh, and it's FYL (as in "Phil") 2 U, by the way, not FLY 2 U. Common mistake. :)

Archived