Manager Contracts

Guest PW

When you are managing a club why can't you renegotiate your contract until it is very close to expiring?

This isn't very life-like in my opinion, even if you couldn't extend the term you should be able to ask the board to at least increase your weekly wage. I know not everyone uses the game in this way but managing a team, getting them promoted, all your players receiving performance related bonuses, and your contract still the bog standard x per week over x years is a bit basic and boring. Especially when you cannot extend it or request it to be increased due to your achievements, i.e. win the League 1 title and request a wage increase to continue at the club and get recognition for your achievements.

This is Football Manager so would like to see the introduction of a bit more variety in the manager contract situaton.

i thought I could only demand a new contract once my current one was within a certain timescale left that the board dictated?

Maybe I'm wrong but FM09 was that way and so far thought FM10 seemed the same?

But isn't that one that you are given automaticaly, why can't you go to the board and demand one?

No, it wasn't because it was expiring, they just wanted to extend it.

I'm sure that if you ask at the right time the board will consider extending your contract.

Must just have been unlucky when I have looked then but on FM09 it also appeared to say something like 'board will not enter into discussions over a new contract as there is still a substantial amount of time remaining on it' or something similar.

Have asked for an extension before but only say in the last year of a contract, due to this don't like asking for large term contracts now. Have had the board offer me one earlier due to good achievements but never seen it available for me until a year at most remaining. Maybe just been unlucky.

if your at a big club they dont tend to offer u a new contract until theres about 3 months left on your current deal. i moved to chelsea on 09 and got hacked off with the fact they kept delaying. ended up leaving.

with pretty much anybody else u will get offered a new contract at the start of each season. if u reject then u can request a new deal later in the season

Archived