[FM10] Downham Town, who are they?... Exactly!!

ToMexico!!

Logo.jpg

Downham Town FC

This is my first venture in to FM10 and into the previously unknown lower levels. I would like to at this point thank Super_Bladesman for his excellent update for FM10.

Downham Town are currently in the Eastern Counties League Division One in level 10 of the English League Pyramid. They played at the Memorial Field which is listed as having 1000 capacity including 100 seats. Basic corporate, fairly basic training and minimal youth facilities to complete the aesthetics of the club.

We had a full squad of players, but obviously they are pretty poor but I can live with that. We had staff too, an assman, a coach, a physio and scout. The coach being the better of the four. I have been given £500 for transfers and 1k a week to spend on wages, of which we were overspending on by a small £79 a week.

Manager Profile

I was given a 2 year contract on £275p/w which is excellent for this level. Promotion odds of 5000/1 were a little off putting at first but looking through the league we had a decent enough squad for anything. The Media predicting a mid-tabled 10th for the club.

Transfer Update

Pre-season saw us need to try and strengthen the squad in key areas aslong as we could afford it. Signing players willy nilly would crush the club financial over the coming seasons. My assman suggested releasing a couple of players to free up some wages, I offered out the three highest earners at the club who were just plain rubbish and they were soon snapped up. I then set about trawling the market for potential new signings.

Player trials were key, but making a move for some players triggered other teams to make an approach. We lost 2 or 3 players to that which I was disappointed about. However we did find a couple of gems, three players are eventually signed permanently to strengthen the squad.

First in was a back up goalkeeper, Sean Mapson who wasn't trialled unfortunately a mistake on my behalf. To find another keeper with handling of 10 for this league was a great coup, he will play second fiddle to first choice Harry Turner. 3 days later Polish national, Daniel Szczukiewicz signed to take the left back position. On £100p/w he is a gamble but I am confident he can work wonders on the left hand side, with a view to slot him in a centre half if needed.

Nearly a month later after a couple of unsuccessful trialists we snapped up Bulgarian national Stanislav Janky who had been released by Eastbourne Boro, he too was on £100p/w and a bit of a risk.

Transfers

2009/10 - Downham Town - Eastern Counties League Division One

Media Prediction: 10th

Finished: 5th - League Table

FA Vase:1st Qual Rd v Shawbury Utd

Norfolk Senior Cup: Quarter Final v Diss

Eastern Counties Cup: Final v Histon Res

3 in, 3 out transfer wise. No money gained, no money spent. Transfers

Sean Mapson | Daniel Szczukiewicz | Stanislav Janky

League: We started well in the league, unbeaten in our first 11 games, however 5 were draws. After 14 games we were sitting top of the table. A run of poor games let the likes of Swaffham, Cornard Utd and Ipswich Wanderers close in on us and push us down to the last play-off spot. Injuries soon tallied up and we were missing our 3 best players at one stage which really hurt and we soon dropped to 5th. A couple of crucial wins did see us jump back to 3rd but another slump in form saw us drop down to a season low of 6th. A win in the penultimate game of the season saw us rise back to 5th. A win against Yarmouth in the last game of the season could have seen us overtake them and take 2nd spot depending on results, but it wasn't to be.

Squad/Stats

Top Scorer | Most Assists | Most MOMs | Ave. Rating

Finances - are shocking, the board twice injected 26k into the club.

Season | Division                  |Finished  | Achievements
09/10  | Eastern Counties Div One  |5th       | Eastern Counties League Cup Final

Like I said in the CSE Forum, I may have to start this again when Super_B has brought his 3rd update out. Downham and Fakenham both got moved into East Midlands League, I don't really want to be moved into another league I wanted to gain promotion from the Eastern Counties League Div One. We shall see.

• 3 weeks later...

Quality mate, downham just down the road from me haa Im doing a wisbech one at the moment and all is going well, the league moving is a bit weird, i got promoted so didnt effect me but histon reserves got moved from eastern premier league to the eas midlands one and have won 27 drew 1 in 28 games:confused: Janky is a good sigining should try and get someone called albano correia, his devasting at this level mate. Good luck with it all!

Archived