Too much competition?

Ok guys, just a quick question -

I'm just about to start my 4th season in charge at Rangers and have already had to rebuild my side twice due to players wanting to leave to move to bigger clubs. Now i can understand that but my current problem is that some of my players, 9 in fact, are unhappy because they feel that there is too much competiton for a first team place. I've sold 15 players to reduce the first team to 22 players but they're still unhappy about the amount of competition. I can't afford to lose any more players and if i have an injury ravaged season like last year then i won't even be able to field a team. I've linked some pictures of my 1st team, reserve team and u18's team below.

Rangers 1st team

Rangers reserve team

Rangers u18's team

As you can see, i have 22 first team players, 16 reserve team players, of which 10 are out on loan to gain some first team experience and 5 youth team players. So, a total of 43 players on the books with 33 currently available for selection. Hardly 'alot' of competiton.

So my question is, what can i do to prevent my players being unhappy about the amount of competition? With only 33 players available, in which probably only 25 are ready for first team football, i really can't afford to sell anybody else. It's clearly having an effect on the teams morale which is one of the factor's that caused us to massively under perform last year.

Any help would be much appreciated :thup:

Thanks.

Ignore them. Lousy ungrateful wretches.

Seriously tho... Tell them to "stop complaining" "I'm the boss" etc whenever you get the chance. Pretty soon they'll shut up.

Thanks :thup: Will that work then? I could understand it if i had a squad size of 50-60+ but i haven't. If anything i could do with a few more players. It's seriously affceting the morale of the squad and we're losing to teams we should be beating comfortbley.

Your best bet is through interaction in the media, telling them that they still feature in your plans etc. The problem is that this only happenes from time to time, when a player makes a comment to the media, so you have no control over the situation. Offering them a new contract would help, increasing their squad status too, but you can't do that for everyone.

Unfortunately you'll have to just sit it out, wait and see if it improves. It likely will, but how long that takes is a completely different matter.

Your best bet is through interaction in the media, telling them that they still feature in your plans etc. The problem is that this only happenes from time to time, when a player makes a comment to the media, so you have no control over the situation. Offering them a new contract would help, increasing their squad status too, but you can't do that for everyone.

Unfortunately you'll have to just sit it out, wait and see if it improves. It likely will, but how long that takes is a completely different matter.

Great, thanks :thup: I'll try that now.

Thanks for the responses :thup:

You have 7 centre backs and 9 central midfielders, it's understandable. Maybe sell a few of the complaining DRC and similar and get in full backs of similar quality if you can.

I understand what you're saying but the actual squad size is only 22, so am i right in saying that re-training to a new position doesn't help sometimes? A lot of the players have been re-trained to try and prevent what has happened in that players feel there's too much competition.

I understand what you're saying but the actual squad size is only 22, so am i right in saying that re-training to a new position doesn't help sometimes? A lot of the players have been re-trained to try and prevent what has happened in that players feel there's too much competition.

I think they look at their natural position. They really don't care if there are only three strikers if they're a goalkeeper competing with four other quality 'keepers.

Ah right, gotch ya. So if i had 8 CB's and 8 MC's but retrained all of the CB's to midfield, the MC's wouldn't be bothered that there was now 16 players able to play in their position?

Ah right, gotch ya. So if i had 8 CB's and 8 MC's but retrained all of the CB's to midfield, the MC's wouldn't be bothered that there was now 16 players able to play in their position?

I don't think so, unless they retrained all the way to natural (which I think is now possible).

No, becasue the retrained players wouldn't be natural midfielders and wouldn't be first choice in that position, even if they become natural, they'll still not be considered first choice because of their atts. Have you got any defenders who are pacey (I can't view images)?

I've got 3 defenders who have pace and acceleration of 15+.

So in future i should buy players who don't play in the position i need and then re-train them to the position i need, in order to stop any unsettling of the squad?

I've tried offering new contracts and changing their squad status but with no luck, they're still unhappy about the amount of competition and refuse to sign new deals. There hasn't been any interaction available yet for me to tell them that they figure in my plans.

I guess i'll just have to wait and hope that they see they're getting games...failing that...sell them!

The players with decent pace may be canddates for retraining to full backs, even if their crossing isn't great. I can't view your images because of my work filter so i'm not sure if that is any help :) I would sell a few though, 8 CD's and 8 MC's is far too many and selling 2 of each might well rectify the problem.

Archived