Free role?

Any attacking position but the player you assign it to has to be good at it. It's a hidden attribute apparently. Basically if you assign it to a player you give him authority to move out of position to find some space if HE deems it necessary.

I've also found that those with a free role also put less effort in when defending.

If you want to give a player a free role you also need to be sure he can handle it. He needs good stats especially in anticipation, positioning, off the ball, decisions, team work. Good gelling of the team is also really important.

You can assign it to a defensive position too btw but giving defending players a free role is really really really risky.

Can it pay off if you place a player as a free role

Look at Messi for Barcelona. He is given the freedom of the pitch and look how devastating he can be. It can definetly pay off in FM but only with the right formation, player and of course tactics.

in real life yes free role can make a difference, as it's hard to mark. but honestly though, i haven't really seen much a DIFFERENCE in FM when i assigned a player (who got the right attritubes to play that role) to have a free role.

Archived