What is a free role?

A player with a free role will basically have all the creative freedom he wants. I find using a player in the hole behind the striker is best to be given a free role but I've also had success with players like C.Ronaldo playing on the right being given a free role.

When I look at choosing a player to be given a free role I like players with good creativity, flair, passing, dribbling, finishing, off the ball, first touch, technique and decisions. I also like all of my players to have high determination, work rate and teamwork attributes. :)

Wayne Rooney.

Basically, it's a free-roaming role where they can pretty much do whatever they feel is best, usually playing behind a striker (but you can free role anyone depending on circumstances). It would be akin to giving them full creative freedom except they roam around a bit more.

Other examples where a free role could be used to describe their role somewhat would be the likes of Kaká, Ronaldinho, Messi, Tévez, Arshavin, Cristiano Ronaldo, Del Piero and Totti, where their role is highly dependent on movement and individual brilliance, and they don't always play fully up front. They move up, drop deep, drift wide and into channels; and they create as well as score.

How can you tell that someone has a good free role attribute? i know there is one in the data editor but there doesnt appear to be any way of getting any idea of how high this could be with any one player in the game.

How can you tell that someone has a good free role attribute? i know there is one in the data editor but there doesnt appear to be any way of getting any idea of how high this could be with any one player in the game.

It will be a hidden attribute if it only appears in the editor.

A player with a free role basically has license to roam the pitch. I'm pretty sure in FM terms, this means he has no set position laterally, he will drift between left, right and central positions. Players that are just an FC (i.e. not an AM/FC) definitely have a high free role, as far as I know, there's no other way of telling, other than making an educated guess from his attributes. If he has high off the ball, creativity, flair etc, then he's probably suited to a free role.

Creative freedom and free role are different things - free role is positional, creative freedom is what he does with the ball (Apparently creative freedom just acts as a modifier on a players flair attribute).

Player that basically strolls around the pitch, popping up in positions around the pitch to usually, support the attack. If he has high OTB, desisions, anticipation etc... Usually he will excel in the roll. With high CF, when he has the ball he will do what HE feels is best, whether that be shoot, dribble with the ball, try a killer pass etc...

Archived