2010 world cup

The hosts and last winners do not have to qualify for the African cup of nations.

Not sure about the world cup.

Sorry, just to clarify I meant the World Cup, and I believe they changed it a few years ago so that the winners now have to qualify for the next one (which I think is stupid but hey ho) :thup:

I don't think it would be very good for the commercial income if a host country wouldn't qualify for their own tournament.

I'll just google it...

"The hosts of the World Cup receive an automatic berth in the finals. Unlike many other sports, results of the previous World Cups or of the continental championships are not taken into account."

wikipedia solves all

I'll just google it...

"The hosts of the World Cup receive an automatic berth in the finals. Unlike many other sports, results of the previous World Cups or of the continental championships are not taken into account."

wikipedia solves all

Indeed, FIFA say:

A total of 200 teams have entered the race for one of the 31 places at the 2010 FIFA World Cup South Africa™. The preliminary phase, which began in the Oceanian Zone back in August 2007, is now in full swing, with only the Host Nation guaranteed a berth in world football's showpiece event.

http://www.fifa.com/worldcup/tournament/index.html

Archived