i dont know if this has been mentioned, or is even possible to implement, but i thought i'd get the ball rolling on this discussion and see where it goes from there.

i was thinking, as i was waiting for a national team post to free up, that as i saw the news story of Argentina winning the u20 SAM that it would be great if you could take charge of a national youth team.

i did once, albeit by cheating (hiring a new user as the manager of a country and then inviting the original user to be the u21 manager) and i loved it. it was a challange as i kept getting my best players taken away from me because of ability or in the end, age.

would it be possible to make it possible for you to be offered the chance to coach the u21, u18 or whatever, by the national manager or national fa? i dont know what this decision could be based upon...maybe relationship with manager, success with youth players (and team obviously)...

what do you think? should we try it out or is it horrible?

I think it's possible to apply to manage u21's and u20/u19's, but I'm not 100% sure as have not tried in FM09. I did successfully applied for the Egypt u21 job in FM08 when I saw it was available once. I didn't stay long though... ;)

I would enjoy this.

I saw one of my rival managers was the coach for the U20's and was hoping that I could offer my services to manage one of the other teams but didn't see the option avaialable... I assumed it was because there wasn't an opening.

Can anyone confirm that this is possible for FM 09? Seems silly that this option would be eliminated, but it would be nice to know for sure so I can set a reminder to keep peeking in.

I've managed U21's before, but the only way I know how do it is to add myself as a national team manager and offer my real self a coaching role. Actually never tried this with 09, but it used to work. Of course, it's cheating too. But I agree, it's a very good idea.

I got an offer to manage Italy U20s on 09, so yes, it's possible.

Sweet news. I assume you were having a lot of success and were simply the best of the available managers? I would really like to run the U20 Mexico team. Interesting challenge and it would seem to give you the inside track in forming relationships with the upcoming superstars! Sneaky way to scout talent for my main team!

well ive never been offered anything like that. the national manager post is quite strange though. i took control of a french 2nd division team and just a week later got offered the senegalese post. then i realised that my database was too big for my pc so i made a new save and took control of st.pauli in 1st division in germany. i have been rejected not only for the seneglese post but more recently the hong kong position. i can understand that since i coached in france i would have more knowledge of senegalese players but surely if the same manager coaches at a better german club he should get the job...

Archived