Are minimum fee release clauses screwed up? (players named)

I am playing as Valencia and Sergio Aguero had a release clause of £56 million which rightly or wrongly I was willing to pay if I couldnt negoiate a smaller fee. Then 4 or 5 months before I was going to buy him I started declaring an interest and they offered him a new contract, oh no I thought. Then I looked and his release clause had been lowered to £40 million. Surely a board who had seen my Valencia team declare an interest and know that 6 months earlier my team paid £62 million for Torres would surely know to keep him with a high release clause. The guy fired them to the La Liga title in the first season and is currently scoring just under a goal a game.

Also Leo Messi had a release clause of £136 million but signed a new contract that took his down to £34.5 million. I am not in a position to get him away from Barcelona but in 2 or 3 season I might be able to sign possibly the best player in the world for that much.

I am not sure if its just these to players to be fair but it does seem strange to me. I shouldnt complain really but it is weird. Both players also stayed on the same wage after signing the contracts aswell I am sure Agueros contract was renewed for the same length of time aswell.

Anyone else notice this?

Thats what I thought with Aguero but it wouldnt happen with Messi. Also players dont think players request new contracts to get a lower release clause so why would Aguero get a new contract for the same length of time with the same wages but a lower release clause. With Messi Barcelona in real life would just say no way.

It's not a bug, though. Players must have the release clause in Spain, and plenty of them will negotiate lower fees in new contracts.

Yes, it won't happen with Messi, but to FM, Messi is just a bunch of numbers, attributes, etc. He's not the real Lionel Messi.

It's not a bug, though. Players must have the release clause in Spain, and plenty of them will negotiate lower fees in new contracts.

Yes, it won't happen with Messi, but to FM, Messi is just a bunch of numbers, attributes, etc. He's not the real Lionel Messi.

The bug is that they are signing up with lower release clauses than they used to have, something which wouldnt be too common in reality.

For instance, I sold Walcott for 60 mil. A year later, he signed a new deal with a 40 mil release clause, so i brought him back.

The bug is that they are signing up with lower release clauses than they used to have, something which wouldnt be too common in reality.

Nonsense. Why wouldn't players negotiate lower release fees? It makes it far easier for them to move if their clubs don't want to sell. It happens in real life.

Nonsense. Why wouldn't players negotiate lower release fees? It makes it far easier for them to move if their clubs don't want to sell. It happens in real life.

Messi will never have a release clause of 30 million IRL.

The point is the best players in Spain never have release clauses that are remotely visable IE there always 80 to 100million, it's a purely cosmetic gesture to pacify the rules.

It seems you don't have a grasp on the subject.

Messi might be numbers to the AI but his reputation and the fact that his CA is 190 plus means he is one of the best players around. There is no chance he would sign a contract with a low release clause especially when his rep tells the AI he is one of the best players in the world.

Players might ask for a lower release clause but they dont do that on FM. So why would a new contract be signed with the same weekly wage for the same length of time with a lower realease. It makes no sense.

Archived