Now that the Netbook09 skin has been released...

... don't you think it's time you provide support for 1024x600? I mean, there is enough of us out there who have been complaining about this lack of support and/or would like to be able to take FM with them wherever they go. Most of the work should be done since the Netbook09 skin has been created and is looking good right?!

Yeah, I want the game to support the traditional netbook resolution of 1024x600. I know you can run the game in windowed mode, but you lose over 20% of processing power when you run anything windowed. I just don't understand how difficult it would be to support this lower resolution when there's an awesome skin already tweaked for it:

http://community.sigames.com/showthread.php?t=110307

Yeah, I want the game to support the traditional netbook resolution of 1024x600. I know you can run the game in windowed mode, but you lose over 20% of processing power when you run anything windowed. I just don't understand how difficult it would be to support this lower resolution when there's an awesome skin already tweaked for it:

http://community.sigames.com/showthread.php?t=110307

I don't quite get why one would lose over 20% of processing power due to running the game in a window.

It's not like you were running a Win 3.11 app over GDI, this is Direct3D guys, it doesn't matter if the render surface is a window or a fullscreen framebuffer.

Yeah right, in a window you prolly won't be able to double-buffer or disable Vsync, but graphics processing power is far from being a bottleneck for FM...

Cheers,

Fowler

Regardless, I don't understand why SI can't add support for the netbook resolution. This is really making me reconsider whether or not I should return the game. I also have 2 friends that abstained from getting the game due to this. FM is a perfect game to take on-the-go such as trips, work, etc. Not being able to play it optimally on a netbook is a big issue IMHO.

• SI Staff

The minimum supported resolution of the game is 1024x768 and it's unlikely to go below that again. All the screens in the game are designed with this resolution in mind and supporting any lower would mean redesigning every screen in the game.

The minimum supported resolution of the game is 1024x768 and it's unlikely to go below that again. All the screens in the game are designed with this resolution in mind and supporting any lower would mean redesigning every screen in the game.

Is it not possible in future to let the user disable the fullscreen resolution check say via the fullscreen commandline command (at the moment if you use the fullscreen_height="600" command it won't work, letting the fullscreen command use any resolution and having it as an unsupported feature would be enough).

You can currently trick the game into running at 1024x600, but in windowed mode only, so you lose an extra 20pixels for the window border, being able to unofficialy play in fullscreen mode would reclaim those valuable 20 pixels. (And would mean the screens wouldn't need gutting quite as much to fit)

• SI Staff

It's not just the font size that would be a problem as various graphics are a fixed height so can't be made any smaller than they already are without redoing them all

Archived