Career issues and others

This isn't a bug by any means, but I am finding playing careers, very specially for goalies, are extended beyond what is logical. In my game, Gianluigi Buffon is 41 and still has a year and a half left in his contract, with no intention of retiring. Still starts every game for Juve and the NT. On a related note, there are no good regen goalies at all, not one, that comes even remotely close to the stats of Casillas, Buffon or Lloris, which doesn't happen in any other position.

It's also extremely hard for young players to crack the NT, while older players seem to play by inertia. The number of caps that some players amass is ridiculous, after 10 seasons in my game there are 70 active players that have cracked the 100-cap mark, and every most teams call up 2-3 100-cap players every time there's a game. IRL, maybe 3-4 players per country have cracked the 100-cap mark in the whole country's history, so they're not really available to be called up at the same time. And bear in mind that FM/WSM has far, far fewer NT games than reality, due to things like not being able to reschedule friendlies if they are cancelled, not being able to schedule friendlies if you're not playing in a WC/EURO qualifying playoff, and not having the slew of (official) friendlies that IRL happen before major competitions.

Attributes don't apparently go down with time either. At the tender age of 38, Steven Gerrard is still arguably one of the best MFs in the world, attribute-wise, and at 37 he had the best season of his career, with 14 league goals.

Sorry if these look like random observations. I'm not complaining or anything, but obviously attribute progression/regression can be tweaked a bit.

how can you be sure this wont happen in real life, with higher levels of fitness among players these days and new training techniques prolonging carears

If anything, it is the other way around. Footballers' careers these days are shorter than they used to be, both generally speaking and specifically at the level necessary to play for the NT. I don't see that being reversed IRL.

Player regression is pegged to their determination attribute.

Buffon and S.Gerrard both have 20 determination, leading to their slow decline and hence prolonging their footballing career.

It's pegged to "Natural Fitness", not "determination".

It's pegged to "Natural Fitness", not "determination".

Scholes and Giggs both have 11 Natural Fitness and their age gap is 1 year but Gigg's CA rate of decline is much faster. Van der Sar NF at 13 but still experience a drop of 30 CA in a season. Hence, my guess that it is pegged to determination stat.

Hi WoIfsong, it will be great if you could help me with some tests of my hypothesis. You can read up more on my post in the Man Utd's data thread: http://community.sigames.com/showpost.php?p=2721361&postcount=1057

Scholes and Giggs both have 11 Natural Fitness and their age gap is 1 year but Gigg's CA rate of decline is much faster. Van der Sar NF at 13 but still experience a drop of 30 CA in a season. Hence, my guess that it is pegged to determination stat.

Hi WoIfsong, it will be great if you could help me with some tests of my hypothesis. You can read up more on my post in the Man Utd's data thread: http://community.sigames.com/showpost.php?p=2721361&postcount=1057

Thanks for the info and link, will do when I get home :)

Player regression is pegged to their determination attribute.

Buffon and S.Gerrard both have 20 determination, leading to their slow decline and hence prolonging their footballing career.

It's the rate of regression that I have a problem with, then. I can understand that a player with det 20 lasts more than a player with det 10, it's perfectly reasonable. What isn't reasonable is the attributes hardly regressing at all.

Archived