Second Nation Eligibility

So here's the setup...

I used the editor to set up my game so that players could gain Welsh nationality after only one year and nearly every nation is part of the EU. I chose to manage Cardiff and the Welsh national side. I have many players from other nations (esp. Brazil) who have gained "British" nationality after one year and have done so because they claim to want a crack at playing for Wales since Brazil hasn't given them a sniff. That said, none of them show up when I search for players who are eligible to play (or scout) for Wales. When I try to add them to the National Pool or scout them, there is no option to do so via their player menus. (No "International Interaction" or whatnot.) The players have all gained British nationality and only a couple of them have any youth caps for their first nation. Yet not a single one of the players, despite their apparent eligibility or lack of caps at any level, is available for addition to the national pool, the national teams, etc.

Some of the players I loaned out lost days when I loaned them to English sides (despite my belief, as an apparently confused American, that Wales and England were both "British", even though I thought you had to gain each nationality separately), but even after their full 365 days in Wales, mastery of basic English, fully processed paperwork, approved second "British" nationality (none say "Welsh", despite them saying they want to play for Wales)... I can't select any of them for the Welsh national sides. I do remember the eligibility being separate for the different nations in the past, so how does it work in this incarnation of the game?

Does this have anything to do with the game claiming that Cardiff is in an English league despite being in Wales? If so, can it be fixed? Or did I just spend a season having players gain "eligibility" they are not eligible to use?

Sorry if this issue has been resolved, but thanks for your help!

No, the thing is British nationality there is a catch in reality which is reflected in the game now. All the British assoications agreed not to call up any player who gains British nationality from playing in the country and gaining the nationality. Nacho Novo was a example of it in reality. That is why you cannot call them up.

No, the thing is British nationality there is a catch in reality which is reflected in the game now. All the British assoications agreed not to call up any player who gains British nationality from playing in the country and gaining the nationality. Nacho Novo was a example of it in reality. That is why you cannot call them up.

What? Why? And why have the option to gain a nationality in the game, then? And why are some players still eligible in multiple nations so I can call them up? (Parents from two nations?)

Sigh...

That's a bitter disappointment, but thanks for the insight. (There isn't a way to alter that in the editor, is there?) Before I spend another season on this, are there any other nations with the same plans?

So much for Cardiff winning the treble while Wales wins the World Cup, both with Brazilian flair!

The option is there to gain British nationality so they don't need work permits and so on.

It is just that is they way it is in reality and the game reflects that now. I think they did it as if the player that gained British nationality in Wales is now elgible to play for any of the British nations even if they never lived there or had any connection with the country. So they agreed that was what they would do.

Do you know of any other situations where a team plays outside its nation, so to speak?

Cardiff and Swansea are Welsh but play in England... Toronto FC is Canadian but plays in the US... Any others, preferably outside the US and UK, since the US limits salaries and the UK won't let anyone join in the fun?

Thanks again for your help...

Do you know of any other situations where a team plays outside its nation, so to speak?

Cardiff and Swansea are Welsh but play in England... Toronto FC is Canadian but plays in the US... Any others, preferably outside the US and UK, since the US limits salaries and the UK won't let anyone join in the fun?

Thanks again for your help...

There is a thread in the challenges forum listing some of the teams who play ouside their country

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for your help... one more thing...

How many other countries don't allow new nationals to play? I tried playing in Andorra for a season (FC Andorra in Spain) but the same thing happened. The players gained Andorran nationality and said they wanted to play for Andorra because they wouldn't get a shot back home. Even so, I couldn't call them up the the Andorran national team, add them to the National Pool, etc...

Is this a Europe-wide policy or a UK thing that got put into the game everywhere by mistake? (Or did I simply pick the only other country that won't let me pull this off?)

Basically, I'm trying to turn a tiny European nation into a world powerhouse (sort of) by importing South Americans to play there. I know it happens in real life, but can it in the game? Is there anywhere I can definitely do that? And anywhere else I definitely can't?

Thanks!

With 9.3, it does allow the players to gain their second nationality, but when I check their profiles, they have declared for their home nation even though their announcement of citizenship the same day says they know they won't get to play for that nation as the reason they took on the second nationality.

Do I need to start a completely new game in 9.3 to get this to work? Or will new players never sign up for Andorra, despite the fact I already got them to 38th in the world (albeit via, er, less than honest means) without imports?

There is a thread in the challenges forum listing some of the teams who play ouside their country

Albirex Niigata - Japan playing in Singapore

Berwick Rangers - England playing in Scotland

Cardiff City - Wales playing England

DPMM FC - Brunei Darussalem playing in Malaysia

Dalian Shide Siwu - China playing in Singapore

Derry City - Northern Ireland playing Republic of Ireland

Lanwa FC - China playing in Hong Kong

Monaco - Monaco playing in France

The New Saints - England playing in Wales

Newport County - Wales playing in England

Super Reds FC - South Korea playing in Singapore

Swansea City - Wales playing in England

Toronto FC - Canada playing in U.S.A.

FC Vaduz - Liechstenstein playing in Switzerland

Wellington Phoenix - New Zealand playing in Australia

Wrexham - Wales playing in England

Merthyr Tydfil - Wales playing in England

USV Eschen/Mauren - Liechstenstein playing in Switzerland

San Marino - San Marino playing in Italy

Albirex Niigata - Japan playing in Singapore

Berwick Rangers - England playing in Scotland

Cardiff City - Wales playing England

DPMM FC - Brunei Darussalem playing in Malaysia ---> Now in Singapore

Dalian Shide Siwu - China playing in Singapore ---> No longer

Derry City - Northern Ireland playing Republic of Ireland

Lanwa FC - China playing in Hong Kong

Monaco - Monaco playing in France

The New Saints - England playing in Wales

Newport County - Wales playing in England

Super Reds FC - South Korea playing in Singapore ---> Not technically a foreign team. Just has foreign players

Swansea City - Wales playing in England

Toronto FC - Canada playing in U.S.A.

FC Vaduz - Liechstenstein playing in Switzerland

Wellington Phoenix - New Zealand playing in Australia

Wrexham - Wales playing in England

Merthyr Tydfil - Wales playing in England

USV Eschen/Mauren - Liechstenstein playing in Switzerland

San Marino - San Marino playing in Italy

Some changes there. :)

since you are not adverse to using editors have you thought about just editing the players nationality with a 3rd party real time editor. Not sure if it would work

Is there a Mac in-game editor? (I haven't checked in years because there hasn't been a useful one to my knowledge...)

Even so, I do like that the player has to play with me for a season (which I took down from five, because I'm not THAT patient); that way I at least have to lure him to the country to begin with.

This can't be true. I was England manager, and Andre-Pierre Gignac played 5 years for Chelsea, and then I called him up for England. So it CAN work.

It's not true. The Scottish FA decided tey wouldn't call up Novo. Maik Taylor, Northern Ireland's Number 1 was born in Germany but qualifies to play for Norn Iron by having a British passport. There was a similar situation with Dele Adebola, both Northern Ireland and Scotland wanted him. Then both realised he was rubbish.

So this is an in-game issue of players deciding they don't want to play for a nation from which they just successfully applied for citizenship in after declaring they did so only to represent their new nation on the International level? Outside of the UK, anyway.

I've had this trouble using Cardiff and FC Andorra--with the same players (Alison, Hugo, and scores of other Brazilians) and with different ones. These guys would never be good enough to represent England, but Wales? Andorra?

And wasn't there a question lately about Almunia possibly representing England? What's the back story on that? Is he ineligible for the same reason?

Isn't there a new FIFA rule that a player who got a second nationality can play for that second country only if he lived there for 5 years (and no other obstacles like caps for previous nation occurs)?

Isn't there a new FIFA rule that a player who got a second nationality can play for that second country only if he lived there for 5 years (and no other obstacles like caps for previous nation occurs)?

So... even if I use the pregame editor to set the citizenship requirements to one year, the new players can't play for their new nation until they've been there five years? (Though they do become citizens who get around foreign-player restrictions, etc.) That still doesn't explain why the players in question would say they want to get a taste of international football with their new nation before immediately (on the same day) declaring for their first nation.

Tigr's reasoning and noted rule makes sense as an explanation, but it would be rather disappointing since I'm not sure I'm patient enough to wait five seasons! Reality can be so annoying sometimes...

Anyone with SI have an opinion?

I believe that is so. A China-born player who got Singapore citizenship was stopped by FIFA from playing for Singapore because of this IRL.

Archived