CA vs Positional rating in Genie Scout

John Swarbrick

Hi everyone. I am using Genie Scout and each player has a "Current Ability" (CA) and a positional rating i.e. 74.83% (DC).

When looking for players, which is more important? Is CA the overall class of a player while the positional rating is how good they are at a certain position? Hope this can be clarified and also can people share what they look out for.

Cheers!

Hi everyone. I am using Genie Scout and each player has a "Current Ability" (CA) and a positional rating i.e. 74.83% (DC).

When looking for players, which is more important? Is CA the overall class of a player while the positional rating is how good they are at a certain position? Hope this can be clarified and also can people share what they look out for.

Cheers!

I use Genie scout too and I do the following:

First I take a look at the CA. How better my team, how higher the CA must be.

i.e. for Antwerp, second division in Belgium, I look for player with CA 100-130. Then I look which player has the best positional rating.

For Barcelona, I look at a CA as high as possible and then look which player has the best positional rating.

If the difference is to small, I look at the players and take the one which fits the best in my tactic.

The CA is an overall indication of how good a player is, but the positional rating is how good he is in a specific position. So a CA 150 player with 74% in his designated postition is a lot better than a CA 170 player with 64% all over the board. Of course, unless you need a player to fill many positions.

And of course, CA is a real in-game stat, whereas the position rating is a calculation based on the skills required for each position. So if you want, say, a striker you'll play on the ground, then the rating won't be absolutely correct, as it takes his air game into consideration too.

Oh, and players with 150+ CA are pretty much able to play well in any league, and they make the workhorses of all the major teams.

If you aim for European glory, you'll probably need to make your team with most players rated CA160 and higher.

The 170+ players are the major stars of their teams, the 180+ ones are world stars, and the 190+ ones are the best players in the world. If you get your hands on a 190+ player, you'll want to fight tooth and nail to keep him.

Of course, how you use players is far more important than their skills, after all some great aging players have sub-150 CA and are still able to set the stadium on fire.

Dont use positional rating

Normally its good and I used to use it but at the moment it is incorrect. It doesnt take into account a players weaker foot which is b basically the single most important factor in FM08. Wait until the new version and Genie might update the positional ratings.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by DS:

Dont use positional rating

Normally its good and I used to use it but at the moment it is incorrect. It doesnt take into account a players weaker foot which is b basically the single most important factor in FM08. Wait until the new version and Genie might update the positional ratings. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Also, the pos ratings of goalkeepers and wingbacks are over-done. Most of the top players in the world play these positions, if you'd believe Genie. I do take the pos rating into account when comparing players in the same position, however.

But as DS says, SI increased the importance of two-footedness in the patch, which Genie doesn't take account of.

Archived