Direct Passing/Work Ball Into Box Combination

I am looking to develop a new tactic and wondering if anyone can help me out? Once the ball is won back by the defence (or from a goal kick) I would like to get the ball forward as quick as possible, however, once the ball is in the forward areas I would like to play a short passing game. Therefore would setting up a very direct passing game (and long kicks by the goalkeeper) with 'work ball into the box' work? I'm unsure whether the match engine would recognise what I would like to implement. Thanks.

I would try CD in the back, goalkeep D, don't select play out from the back. Then on transitions tell the goalie long kicks. 

I would set your passing settings how you want for in possession play up the pitch. 

Not sure your formation, but you likely want non ball playing back 4 and DM is you use. 

1 hour ago, 04texag said:

I would try CD in the back, goalkeep D, don't select play out from the back. Then on transitions tell the goalie long kicks. 

I would set your passing settings how you want for in possession play up the pitch. 

Not sure your formation, but you likely want non ball playing back 4 and DM is you use. 

Thanks for the reply. The planned formation is a narrow 4-3-1-2 with a very defensive minded central midfielder with a Mezzala on either side. However, I would like some width with the use of overlapping full backs but I'm not interested in any defenders being important in the first phase of play apart from quickly moving the ball directly up the park. Once the ball is upfield I would like the full backs to join the more attacking minded players and for them all to combine to play a short passing game. I'll need to load up a false save before I get started and have a play about with the idea but it's something I am eager to know whether that transition from long ball out from the back to a short passing game in the attacking third can be utilised effectively.  

What is the objective of the tactic?

It sounds like a counter-attack and then controlled possession once you get in the final 3rd? If you are going to go to a 'short passing game' with everyone knocking it around amongst themselves, then why does it matter how quickly you make your way into the final 3rd? As it sounds like you're not interested in the potential benefits of getting the ball up the pitch quickly. I may be misinterpreting things, but it sounds like you'll end up hoofing it and/or legging it up the pitch and then waiting for everyone (including the opposition) to come catch up.

Work Ball Into Box reduces crossing and long shot tendencies, FWIW, so it's not going to shorten passing.

For that, if possible, shorten passing of your front players via PIs as one option. You can have the entire team more direct except those you select to be shorter.

Another option is to have no nonsense fullbacks and centrebacks, who will get the ball out of defence ASAP and the rest of your team can have mixed or shorter passing. I'd say this is a much more direct way, but it might be a bit wasteful. It depends on how much teams attack you.

9 hours ago, CaptCanuck said:

What is the objective of the tactic?

It sounds like a counter-attack and then controlled possession once you get in the final 3rd? If you are going to go to a 'short passing game' with everyone knocking it around amongst themselves, then why does it matter how quickly you make your way into the final 3rd? As it sounds like you're not interested in the potential benefits of getting the ball up the pitch quickly. I may be misinterpreting things, but it sounds like you'll end up hoofing it and/or legging it up the pitch and then waiting for everyone (including the opposition) to come catch up.

The objective is primarily to dominate possession in the opponents half by getting into that area quickly and directly. I will have a target man and the goalkeeper will aim to distribute the ball in his direction. I will have the two centre defenders as 'No Nonsense', a feature I have rarely used so I am unsure whether the attempts to clear the ball will have any thought behind it instead of just hoofing it into the stands.  The full backs will be on 'Support' and I rarely want to see them used in the build of play as I have set the team to play through the middle. However, I do want them to support the attack to create space and offer an alternative outlet in the scenario that the two Mezalla's, AM and two strikers are struggling to break the opposition down. Directly in the centre of midfield will be a ball winner and I would prefer if he was also rarely involved in the attacking phase, instead always being in position to break down opposition counter attacks before moving the ball quickly to one of those five players I just mentioned. I am hoping that the target man will involve the AM behind him as much as possible as I want him to be the key player, with the Mezalla's hopefully proving support on either side of him in the half spaces. The remaining striker will be looking to make those runs in behind. 

I have yet to start the save and could be overthinking it. I'm going to load it up now and do a pre season with my thoughts and the ideas presented to me so far. Comprehensive highlights are always useful I find but I'm not sure the match engine will catch on to what I'm trying to do because I think some of it may contradict itself with the options I have available to me. 

Thanks for the reply.

Hopefully you targetman and GK are up to the task ;-) You don't want to have the ball coming back really quickly. If your midfield is going to be good enough to maintain possession, playing through them should get the ball into the opponents half as successfully as hoofing it up to the targetman? Your midfield sounds similar to mine in my possession formation RPM(S) - C (D or Su) - Mez(S), they look to work pretty well together. But I play out through the back in possession and have higher LOE/engagement to help have positive possession.

Anyhoo, do provide some screenshots/updates once you're set up and running, always fun to see something a bit different :-)