Not creating CCC

Hey tactical masterminds, 

I am really struggling with creating clear cut chances and also I have problems against teams like Wolves, AS Monaco and BOOOOH Burnley. They all are used to play with two strikers and I don't want to step away from my 4-3-3. But I either can't find an solution within the 4-3-3.

Here is my tactic. I hope to get some feedback!

https://gyazo.com/e917b92a6788c856f73a34c2d5ebca72[/img]

Edited by Yoeri

I see a couple of pretty clear issues here.

1. You lack a goal-oriented runner from midfield, so if Aubameyang runs the channel you have ONE player looking to attack the box. I would swap the DLP to a CM(A) and swap between DLP and AP at RCM depending on game and opposition formation. This way you also have fewer meaningless passes exchanged between the AP and DLP.

2. You have a WB behind your W on the left, but why? I would probably swap to an IWB(S)/IWB(A) or FB(S)/FB(A) depending on the game and other roles you choose.

3. Your TIs don't make a lot of sense. You want to work the ball patiently into the box, but you've also selected a higher tempo - your players are probably not good enough to execute this well as players like Xhaka have poor composure and decisions. Similarly, you want to play on the counter, but you're pressing your opponent way up the pitch. You have excellent players for a counter-focused strategy, but that requires you draw your opponents out rather than pinning them into their own box. I would probably drop both LoE to "standard", if not all the way down to "lower", and I would probably drop tempo to standard.

Edited by Sneaky Pete

Thanks @Sneaky Pete 

1. So you are saying they are on one line with eachother and to fix this I should play one of them higher up the pitch by giving him an attacking role?
  2. Yes, unfortunately that was my fault. I used to play the way you say but to be honest, i expect more from the IWB than I've seen so far. Maybe Tierney is not the right player, but i don't wanna sell him.
  3. I want to work the ball into the box on a higher tempo... is that wrong? or is that just not how it works? 

Thanks again. What does LoE stands for? I am Dutch. :D 

Ad 1: It's not just that they're on a line with each other, it's that your team lacks players whose first priority is scoring goals. Basically, you currently have Aubameyang (who is going to run the channels a lot and thus not be in the box because he's an AF) and Pepe (who is going to take it wide some of the time rather than cutting in). That's it. You need more than that to consistently have players in threatening positions.

Against teams where you are roughly equally matched, CMa, AF, and IWa is probably a solid trio. Against teams where you are the heavy favourite and do not need the defensive solidity of Torreira at DM, you can think about dropping Xhaka to the DM strata and playing a BBM alongside the CMa to give you another threat in the box.

Ad 3: It's not that it can't work, it's that I don't think you have the players to do it. It requires a combination of technical skills, good composure, great decisions, etc - your Arsenal team does not have that based on the players you've showed me.

P.S: LoE stands for Line of Engagement.

6 minutes ago, Sneaky Pete said:

Ad 1: It's not just that they're on a line with each other, it's that your team lacks players whose first priority is scoring goals. Basically, you currently have Aubameyang (who is going to run the channels a lot and thus not be in the box because he's an AF) and Pepe (who is going to take it wide some of the time rather than cutting in). That's it. You need more than that to consistently have players in threatening positions.

Against teams where you are roughly equally matched, CMa, AF, and IWa is probably a solid trio. Against teams where you are the heavy favourite and do not need the defensive solidity of Torreira at DM, you can think about dropping Xhaka to the DM strata and playing a BBM alongside the CMa to give you another threat in the box.

Ad 3: It's not that it can't work, it's that I don't think you have the players to do it. It requires a combination of technical skills, good composure, great decisions, etc - your Arsenal team does not have that based on the players you've showed me.

P.S: LoE stands for Line of Engagement.

I see your points. But who do you think is good enough to be an attacking central midfielder? I want Özil or Aouar to play but their finishing is also not that great.

On 08/02/2020 at 17:09, Yoeri said:

Here is my tactic. I hope to get some feedback!

Here are key issues:

- 2 PMs literally next to each other in central midfield, but no deep runner to support the attack in the final third in a meaningful fashion

- AF as a lone striker while playing with a high LOE (reducing the space needed for the type of role the AF is)

- Dribble less as a team instructions make no sense for a team like Arsenal IMHO

Defense-wise, your instructions are not optimal either. Because:

- with standard DL and higher LOE, your vertical compactness is reduced (i.e. lower than optimal), because your players need to cover more space when defending

- this is then compounded by the more urgent pressing, because it puts an extra layer of defensive burden on your players (considering the already mentioned lower-than-optimal compactness)