Just finished an emotionally draining campaign

After several months of FM20 goodness I felt nostalgic for my old save and went back to fm19 for a while. 

This was my first real save I played long term (fm19 was my first version though I'm a long time OOTP veteran) where I took over Sutton United in 2019 and am still there in 2033. I've worked the team up the pyramid and was competing in the Premier League for the second time after a quick 1 year visit a few years previously.

I was better prepared for an increase in quality of play than the first time but even still it was a brutal slog. It finally came down to the last day and I was sitting in 16th with only a point separating me and relegation. We'd been having a hard time recently and I was resigned to a return to the Championship despite my final game being against fellow relegation candidate Villa. 

We managed to pull our crap together and win 3-0 securing us a spot in the Premier League next year. Now we're improving our youth training, expanding our stadium, and I feel like I've aged a decade. Just here for the moral support as most other people would be like "so what?" to this story.

(Oh new here too. First post so hello from Minnesota, also known as not Canada)

46 minutes ago, cplpeters1900 said:

Sounds like one hell of a season!

Certainly was. I'm actually rather glad I had sleep and work before I could start playing again so I could savor it a little before getting to work improving the squad.

Congrats on not getting relegated man. Reminds me of the time I took over a division 2 side and managed a mid table finish before getting fired for leaking talks with the chairman to the press. I do want to return and fight the good fight and get them to the first division. 

How are you setup? Defensive??

On 02/02/2020 at 13:15, Lurking Manager said:

Congrats on not getting relegated man. Reminds me of the time I took over a division 2 side and managed a mid table finish before getting fired for leaking talks with the chairman to the press. I do want to return and fight the good fight and get them to the first division. 

How are you setup? Defensive??

I have a 5-4-1 defensive formation for the top 7 - 10 teams, a 4-1-4-1 cautious for everyone else, and a 4-2-3-1 balanced for the teams below me or I think I may have a chance against.

I signed a keeper and striker during the off season. My previous keeper was a bit below Premier League standard and I have some good options at forward but they're all really young so I wanted a guy with some experience in the hope he'd find the goal more often and help the young guys develop.

The results are mixed early. Only 2 games in and I've lost both, 1-0 and 2-0, but as I opened at Anfield I wasn't hoping for much. The new keeper has performed well but the striker hasn't made an impact yet.