Posession + a low block?

Hello everyone,
I have been unable to play the Game for a while. I mostly play in the lower levels of England where I use a very Direct 442 (I love using TM). I recently got a different computer (I cant access my regular save) and I am triying out a new save with a different philosophy.

I want to play a posession based style with either a 532 or a 433. But, the thing is, I dont really like to use a high defensive línea, nor a lot of pressing (at least not high pressing).

Could I sit deep and eventually try to keep a lot of the ball after winning It? Or is It imperative to be very agressive with pressing?

Also another thing I have a bit of a problem is recreating the Giroud role at Arsenal. I want to have a player that acts as the main point of the attack but more of an enabler (kind of like a center in basketball, where he screens a lot and gets other players good looks).

I tought about setting up something like this:

Dlf (s)

If/iw (a).                                    W (s)

Cm (s) or BBM.    AP(s)

Dm or hb.

Wb (s).      Bpd (d).     Bpd (d)  Wb(a)

Are there any changes you guys would recommend?  I am unsure about how to set Up the midfield 3. Also I dont really know what to do with the right wing spot.

33 minutes ago, Wenger6 said:

Could I sit deep and eventually try to keep a lot of the ball after winning It? Or is It imperative to be very agressive with pressing?

You can if you want to use possession for defensive purposes (keeping the ball in an attempt to waste as much time as possible) . But if you want to play a regular possession football, you need to be more aggressive when out-of-possession. If you use a well-balanced formation (such as the 4141dm wide), you can go with standard DL and standard LOE and try to play a possession style of sorts, but that's still not going to be a real possession football. 

38 minutes ago, Wenger6 said:

Dlf (s)

If/iw (a).                                    W (s)

Cm (s) or BBM.    AP(s)

Dm or hb.

Wb (s).      Bpd (d).     Bpd (d)  Wb(a)

This setup is neither possession-oriented nor defensively sound.

37 minutes ago, Wenger6 said:

Im curious: why is It not defensively sound?

Because of the right flank - WB on attack duty with an AP in MCR. 

38 minutes ago, Wenger6 said:

What changes would you suggest to improve It?

WB on support instead of attack  (if you are asking about this specific defense-related issue). 

Or you want to know how the whole setup can/should be changed to suit a possession style? And do you want patient or progressive possession?

22 minutes ago, Experienced Defender said:

Because of the right flank - WB on attack duty with an AP in MCR. 

WB on support instead of attack  (if you are asking about this specific defense-related issue). 

Or you want to know how the whole setup can/should be changed to suit a possession style? And do you want patient or progressive possession?

I would love to know your take on the whole formation. Id rather be patient than progressive.

I play a 4-4-2 with a deeper defensive line and lower line of engagement. I vary the pressing depending on whether the opponent has technically proficient players. But in a lot of my games I am seeing 60%+ possession. In a number of games I am above the 70% mark. I also create a lot of chances and am defensively sound. 

Gk(d)

IWB(D)   CB(d)  CB(d)  FB(a)

W(s)  Mez(s)   CM(d)  Iw(s)

AF(a)  F9(s)

Above are the roles I play. 

TIs: higher tempo; play out of defence; focus down both flanks; overlap on left; counter; defend deeper; lower line of engagement.

EDIT: Forgot to add that I play on the 'positive' mentality setting. I switch to balanced and keep the left full back on support for harder away matches (or WB(d).

I'm playing as ASEC Mimosas in Cote D'Ivoire. Unbeaten in the first half of the season domestically and managing to compete well in the African Champions Cup. 

Edited by Tikka Mezzala

3 hours ago, Wenger6 said:

I would love to know your take on the whole formation. Id rather be patient than progressive.

If you want a patient possession style, you can try something like this for example:

DLFsu

APsu                              IFat

DLPsu   BBM

DMde

FBat   CDde  CDde  IWBde

GK/SKde

Mentality - Balanced or Positive

In possession - shorter passing, play out of defence, work ball into box, overlap right

In transition - either nothing or only counter-press

Out of possession - only prevent short GKD (taking into account that you don't want to play with higher DL and LOE)

This is a simple example of a patient possession tactic without overkill. 

P.S: I don't know if this kind of tactic would suit your players, because each style of play requires certain type of players. Anyway, you can try and see.

Hello, Wenger6,

after checking my data I came to the conclusion that there were only two top-flight managers who successfully used a tactical setup with a really low defensive line paired with high amounts of possession in recent years:

• Brendan Rodgers' Swansea City 11/12 (the closest thing to what you're describing)
  • Marcelo Bielsa's Olympique de Marseille 14/15

You might watch some clips of these teams playing back then for some inspiration. I'll come back for some statistical inside help if you want me to.