Need help with my 4-2-3-1

Currently playing as Real Betis, 3rd season. I've been using this tactic, and it's worked OK. But over the past month of the season, some problems have come up with it, and I'm at a loss as to how to fix them. 

I'm trying to play a positive possession game, as that's what the board/fans want, but not really sure I have the team for it. Unfortunately, the players I have right now are suited largely to the 4-2-3-1. I only have 1 player that can play in the DM slot, a young BBM/SV type who isn't ready for a starting role just yet. 

On offense, we do pass fairly well, and can hold possession and generate shots against most opponents. However, our shots on target rate is only around 40%, and our scoring is somewhat inconsistent from match to match. 

My defense...well, it's just not good. They seem to stand off and play passively, rather than engaging the opposition, which results in my opponents getting a lot of easy shots and CCC's. I did look my defenders' attributes in comparison to the rest of the league, and they're average in most areas (ranked 10th-12th best) except for jumping (1st), heading (13th), and work rate, where they're 18th. I suspect the poor work rate is causing some of the problems, but not all. We also have the 2nd-youngest squad in La Liga, so could some of this simply be youth and inexperience? 

I did read through Experienced Defender's thread on building a defense, and have tried both the possession and the counter instructions (as my team is pretty pacy) but neither seems to work. Any ideas on how I can make this tactic better with the players at hand? Or do I need a squad overhaul if I'm going to stick with 4-2-3-1? 

Tactic is below:

Individual instructions: Close down more on the AMC's

2020-01-26 (1).png

1 hour ago, RCCook said:

2020-01-26 (1).png

The tactic looks decent. I don't see anything inherently wrong in it. Although I don't know your players, so cannot tell you if this particular tactical setup suits them. Nor can I tell you what you should do to improve it - again due to the lack of knowledge of your players. 

1 hour ago, RCCook said:

My defense...well, it's just not good

Defending is not just about defenders, but the whole team. 

Specifically in a 4231, it is critical that both CMs need to be defensively reliable players. If they are not, then better avoid the 4231. If you don't have players for a system with a DM, then switch to a 4411 or something like that.

1 hour ago, RCCook said:

Individual instructions: Close down more on the AMC's

You basically don't need to use the close down more PI for your forward players when you already use the Prevent short GKD TI. 

2 hours ago, Experienced Defender said:

The tactic looks decent. I don't see anything inherently wrong in it. Although I don't know your players, so cannot tell you if this particular tactical setup suits them. Nor can I tell you what you should do to improve it - again due to the lack of knowledge of your players. 

Defending is not just about defenders, but the whole team. 

Specifically in a 4231, it is critical that both CMs need to be defensively reliable players. If they are not, then better avoid the 4231. If you don't have players for a system with a DM, then switch to a 4411 or something like that.

You basically don't need to use the close down more PI for your forward players when you already use the Prevent short GKD TI. 

Thanks for the advice.

I do think that the CM's are part of the issue. My starting BBM (who was excellent defensively) is currently injured, and his backups are just OK at marking/tackling. Quite a few of the opposition chances are coming down the channel he covered. So I might try a different role there while he's out, or go with a 4-4-1-1 and see how that works.

11 hours ago, RCCook said:

his backups are just OK at marking/tackling

Also pay attention to positioning, anticipation, decisions, work rate, teamwork, bravery, stamina, determination... some decent speed is also more than welcome for a CM in this system. It does not mean that each of these attributes has to be 15+, but they are all important to one degree or the other.