Is it best to be aggressive with the roles in a flat 4-1-4-1?

Hi, just got promoted to the championship. Was playing a 4-3-3 wide but I'm getting found out in the wide areas with the gaps in the wide areas. I'm thinking of changing to the 4-1-4-1 as a result. It was just a general question about the 4-1-4-1 and needing to be a bit aggressive in order to not be so toothless in attack?

Here is my 4-3-3 setup:

DLF(a)

W(s)                                       IF(a)

Mez(s)        BBM

A

FB(s)      CD(d)         CD(d)     FB(s)

GK

Mentality: Cautious

With ball:

Shorter passing

Work ball into box

Low crosses

Pass into space

Play out of defence

Defending:

Lower defensive line

Lower line of engagement

Narrow defensive width

In transition:

Regroup

Counter

Distribute to FB

Distribute to CD 

I try to stick with Bielsa philosophy of using a balanced, versatile shape with a few aggressive roles in key areas to make the whole tactic more attacking. 4-1-4-1 is perfect for this because in attack it transforms into a versatile 4-3-3.

For example you will need a supporting striker for sure because he is alone up there. But with holding DM (i prefer to use one on support but make sure he is good in positioning and tackling and doesn't have too many aggressive PPMs). Then with this you can go more creative with the rest of the midfield. Mezzala next to a wide playmaker and box to box midfielder next to inverted winger. With fullbacks i always go with one conservative fullback on support to mainly stay back and one attacking wingback or even cwb (goes well with the inverted winger) to bomb forward and link up with the inverted winger and striker.

This way you will create overloads on one side and be able to unlock the side with the attacking roles.

Edited by crusadertsar

Just had a gander at your Team Instructions and 4-1-4-1 are probably not ideal for you. You are trying to play counterattacking no? This shape is way too defensive for that. The only player who will be in high enough position to catch your passes into space is the striker and even then he is supposed to be supporting. You need a good old 4-4-2 or another formation with my multiple strikers or advanced wingers to do good counter. But if you are looking to press your opposition and control possession through the middle then 4-1-4-1 is excellent for that.

Anyway that's my 2 cents as others might not agree.

22 hours ago, crusadertsar said:

You need a good old 4-4-2 or another formation with my multiple strikers or advanced wingers to do good counter.

I always get overrun with the 4-4-2 and really struggle. Not confident at all with it.