Lots of shots - not enough goals and conceding from set pieces

I've been playing a fair bit over the holiday period - and things have settled into quite a dull pattern.  I create a lot of chances - tons of shots - but very few on target and scoring goals is a problem.  I'm playing the San Marino challenge and started at L7 with a custom database.  L7 was easy - didn't lose once all season - L6 was a bit harder - but L5 was hard to score and L4 is taking the same pattern 8 games in.  Most teams park the bus against us.  We don't conceded many goals - but those we do are most often from set pieces.  Now, we are doing well - back-to-back-to-back promotions and at L4 we are 3rd after 8 games - but I'm finding it pretty dull in terms of game play.  It might be that without greater risk, it will always be that way.

I'm looking for help in turning shots into goals.  I tend to have a lot of off target shots (shot map example below which is pretty typical).  My tactic will change slightly depending on who we are playing - the DLP might become an AP against a lesser team who are parking the bus.  The DM might become a DLP and the DLP/AP a CM-Attack depending on the oppo's formation.  I tend to use balanced away from home and positive at home.

I've been trying various roles up front - but goals for this guy are a problem (2 in 8 games) whatever his role.

I've tried counter on and off and can't say I noticed much of a difference.  I don't really want to be a counter-press team, not my style of play, but perhaps I need to use it?

With the conceding from set pieces, I've tried tweaking my set piece defending, but no joy - my current efforts are below.  I train as much as I can - but we are part-time, so just 4 slots available per week.

Any advice/thoughts most welcomed!

964947806_Calcio41221.thumb.jpg.48af4627a860e9a8b1cdf49458bf5346.jpg

339327469_ShotMapExample.thumb.jpg.ccac9940ff8d891b49e6fea0ddbe8aa3.jpg

2096911640_DefCorners.thumb.jpg.fd6a4604db13bb9586ea5450d8da38ab.jpg

148858171_DefFreeKicks.thumb.jpg.9c21d3bf04032a3ba87f469a862e56d7.jpg

5 hours ago, duesouth said:

964947806_Calcio41221.thumb.jpg.48af4627a860e9a8b1cdf49458bf5346.jpg

5 hours ago, duesouth said:

Any advice/thoughts most welcomed!

Okay, the following is my first set of suggestions for you:

- swap the CMs around (DLP in MCL and BBM in MCR)

- change the striker's (DLF) duty into attack 

- remove distribution to FBs (no reason to limit your GK's options)

- remove the narrow width and leave it on default (you can always adjust the width either to narrower or wider during a match if that makes sense based on what you see)

- remove stay on feet (or at least explain why you opt to use it in the first place?)

Question: what's the reasoning behind the "Play for set pieces" instruction?

38 minutes ago, Experienced Defender said:

Okay, the following is my first set of suggestions for you:

- swap the CMs around (DLP in MCL and BBM in MCR)

- change the striker's (DLF) duty into attack 

- remove distribution to FBs (no reason to limit your GK's options)

- remove the narrow width and leave it on default (you can always adjust the width either to narrower or wider during a match if that makes sense based on what you see)

- remove stay on feet (or at least explain why you opt to use it in the first place?)

Question: what's the reasoning behind the "Play for set pieces" instruction?

Thanks, will give this a go.

I chose "stay on feet" as I found we were picking up a few too many yellow cards - especially my right back (who is now my backup as I've upgraded post-promotion), so I can remove and see how it goes.

"Play for Set Pieces" set as the board want me to score lots from them - which we do, but also ship a bunch!

Thanks again.

1 hour ago, duesouth said:

I chose "stay on feet" as I found we were picking up a few too many yellow cards - especially my right back (who is now my backup as I've upgraded post-promotion), so I can remove and see how it goes

If you have a player that tends to pick up too many Y/R cards, you can use the relevant PI for that particular player (ease off tackles) instead of telling the whole team to do that. 

1 hour ago, duesouth said:

"Play for Set Pieces" set as the board want me to score lots from them

Okay then :thup: