Freekicks and long range shots

What have they done this game!!? every other game I concede directly from freekicks or shots from 25 yards plus. I am in the Scottish Championship for crying out loud!! This must be some sort of bug?

It's absolutely soul destroying as there is seemingly no defending against it!

Its the balancing algorithm to make sure the right amount of goals are scored because there are virtually no goals from close range long shots and free kicks are increased to give the right amount of goal scored overall. People will say its your tactics but this is just not true.    

4 minutes ago, jeru said:

Its the balancing algorithm to make sure the right amount of goals are scored because there are virtually no goals from close range long shots and free kicks are increased to give the right amount of goal scored overall. People will say its your tactics but this is just not true.    

And this mess of a paragraph is just not true. Many FMers (including myself) are seeing plenty of goals scored from close range - and, indeed, a generally healthy variety of goals at all levels.

If your team is conceding regularly from free-kicks or corners, look at your set-piece routines to see if there's something you could change. If it's long-range goals you're always conceding from, try visiting the tactics forum and asking for assistance (and provide details of your tactical roles, duties and instructions).

@jeru Even better, I can post screenshots of goal analyses and direct free-kick stats from THREE saves to not only back up my "mythical" variety of goals, but also show that direct free-kick goals are nowhere near as common as some people think.

FIORENTINA (Serie A, Season 1 - beta)

Fiorentina1-goals.thumb.png.a182e956ac14568c1dfeabf36225afd0.png

Fiorentina1-dfk.thumb.png.678e3fca29b7df1b2e2323fe293cd6c3.png

FIORENTINA (Serie A, Season 4)

Fiorentina4-goals.thumb.png.542b9904cb629b3958c78b11064d2df8.png

Fiorentina4-dfk.thumb.png.08d6d05fb4baa4f3f7b7048a9edeb7ad.png

SHREWSBURY (League One, Season 1)

Shrewsbury1-goals.thumb.png.03e354be62cc2c05a3b876819ca1f875.png

Shrewsbury1-dfk.thumb.png.42fe3c043449f4b435f47220fe06d34e.png

SHREWSBURY (League One, Season 3)

Shrewsbury3-goals.thumb.png.a30f7aaf03984c90a9222d46292e9d69.png

Shrewsbury3-dfk.thumb.png.97e7ffd3a4f9d4e19e974167ddc5fe70.png

LYN (Norwegian third division, Season 1)

Lyn1-goals.thumb.png.9e0a2d49b4fe892238b3b68789b9470d.png

Lyn1-dfk.thumb.png.6d5c4ea18427973fd3580c9cd851bbb1.png

Those goal analysis screenshots from across five seasons cover 505 goals, 126 of which were scored from outside the penalty area. That's just under 20%, which doesn't sound too outlandish to me - even in the lower leagues.

Bear in mind that not every long-range goal is a screamer and/or a worldie, although they can and do happen at lower levels of football. Yes, a Norwegian third-division player is probably less likely to smash a 30-yarder into a top corner than someone like Cristiano Ronaldo or Paul Pogba. You could also argue, though, that a Norwegian third-division goalkeeper is probably more likely to be caught out by a tamer effort from distance than a Gigi Buffon or a Gigio Donnarumma.

In terms of direct free-kick goals, I am generally seeing an average of between 1 and 1.5 scored across the division per game round. That does seem quite high compared to real-life figures (from what I could find, 23 direct free-kicks were scored in the Premier League this season, but I'm not sure how reliable that data is). Even so, DFKs in FM19 are hardly scored at ridiculous levels.

Archived