Antonio Conte 541 breakdown - help needed

After a scintillating run through champions league through Barcelona, Man City, Liverpool (all three through away goal tie breakers) I’m matched against a Conte-led ManU. I’m Roma btw. Below is what my scout predicts they will line up and below there is some insight into my formation.

AF

IF                                                              IF

DLP       CM

CWB                                                   WB

Cd     Cd    Cd

i have variations of my base 4141, but below is what I’m aiming for. Changed striker to DLF in place of F9 to hold ball rather than dribble at 3. Changed BBM to Mez to try and spread their back line. Torn on what to do other CM. My plan currently is to keep him holding with aggressive passing and allow wing backs to play more aggressive and maintain a good block to quell counter.

DLF s

IFa                                                     IFa

MEZs        CMs 

HBd.                            

WBs              BPD          NCB        WBa 

we we play high line, standard loe, urgent pressing and tackling. Counter press system.

any additional thought? 

1 hour ago, s0ni42 said:

DLF s

MEZs        CMs 

HBd.                            

Don't know your players, so assuming you assigned them to the right roles, the first thing I would change in this setup is playing the mezzala on attack and the left IF on support. On the right flank, I would change the WB's duty to support (like the left one) and use the Overlap right TI, to get more dynamic interplay there. Depending on the player you use, the left back can be an IWB on support, both to cover for the mezzala and get closer to the midfield so as to be more involved in the build-up phase. Btw, curious as to why do you use a BDP/NCB combo?

1 hour ago, s0ni42 said:

we we play high line, standard loe, urgent pressing and tackling. Counter press system.

What are your in possession and transition instructions (apart from counter-press)? And mentality as well?

1 hour ago, s0ni42 said:

Torn on what to do other CM. My plan currently is to keep him holding with aggressive passing and allow wing backs to play more aggressive and maintain a good block to quell counter

I would consider a carrilero or DLP on support (especially if you are keen to persist with both WB and IF on attack duty).

12 minutes ago, Experienced Defender said:

Btw, curious as to why do you use a BDP/NCB combo?

I’ve done that since beginning of this version and mostly been successful. I think of it as one guy that we play out of back through and one guy who is only focused on cleaning up the mess. Against lesser opponents, I’ll use CD in that spot. Against more threatening squads I use NCB as a safer option to simply quell a counter attack.

12 minutes ago, Experienced Defender said:

What are your in possession and transition instructions (apart from counter-press)? And mentality as well?

Mentality is positive. Transition is to counter. Fairly wide, fairly high tempo.

I would consider a carrilero or DLP on support (especially if you are keen to persist with both WB and IF on attack duty).

I do use Carrilero at times which could be helpful to offer more cover on the wing (behind WBa). I guess I was more concerned with keeping block in middle of field to deal with more pressing threats of Pogba/Eriksen 

I do change mentality based on game situation. Mostly switch to cautious if we are getting drubbed in possession and don’t have control of match. In tournament format, I’ll go to attacking to nab goals if desperately needed 

28 minutes ago, s0ni42 said:

I’ve done that since beginning of this version and mostly been successful. I think of it as one guy that we play out of back through and one guy who is only focused on cleaning up the mess. Against lesser opponents, I’ll use CD in that spot. Against more threatening squads I use NCB as a safer option to simply quell a counter attack.

Okay. Sounds logical. Especially if it has turned out to work well for you :thup:

45 minutes ago, s0ni42 said:

Mentality is positive. Transition is to counter. Fairly wide, fairly high tempo

Not sure what's the reasoning behind playing wider in this particular setup:

2 hours ago, s0ni42 said:

DLF s

MEZs        CMs 

HBd.                            

And with positive mentality, in which the width is already relatively wide by default.

46 minutes ago, s0ni42 said:

I do change mentality based on game situation. Mostly switch to cautious if we are getting drubbed in possession and don’t have control of match. In tournament format, I’ll go to attacking to nab goals if desperately needed

When you change the mentality - especially dramatically (e.g. from positive/attacking to cautious/defensive, or vice versa), you need to change some other instructions as well (sometimes also a couple of duties/roles). Because mentality affects a lot of them (some directly, and some more subtly).

47 minutes ago, Experienced Defender said:

Not sure what's the reasoning behind playing wider in this particular setup:

you know, maybe exploitive or just enjoy watching teams that play ‘wide’ in real life. Not based on enough evidence in truth. I recruit explosiveness for my wing players (IFs & WBs). Guess my thought is to better utilize athleticism and get those guys in space; especially on break. I’m a big basketball fan too and the tactic of playing open and wide to create space is so in vogue right now I’ve prolly, somewhat, missed in translation. Out of possession we are normal.

When you change the mentality - especially dramatically (e.g. from positive/attacking to cautious/defensive, or vice versa), you need to change some other instructions as well (sometimes also a couple of duties/roles). Because mentality affects a lot of them (some directly, and some more subtly).

Yes when I make mentality changes it is usually in response to either game situation or something opponent is exploiting which means more changes beyond just mentality. May tighten vertically or width, slow tempo, change pressing intensity, etc.

Archived