HELP ME TACTICALLY

Brief overview, I played the game extensively right up until about FM15 and was generally quite good at it. Recent years has seen me play less and less and i have been trying to get back into it with FM19 but I am finding it a bit hard.

I am managing Sheffield United and playing with wing backs. I wanted to create 2 differing tactics. The first would be a possession based tactic with short passing and slow build up. This is mainly used where I am confident of controlling possession (mostly at home). After pretty much a full season of trying differing instructions and roles I have found something that seems to be a good starting point. With this I play with a triangle in midfield with a DLP(d) a BBM(S) and an AM(S) behind two strikers.

This tactic is generally decent, i control possession as intended (regularly having 65%+ possession) and the opposition tends to not get many shots or chances.  However, I draw so many games that I dominate and rarely score more than 1 goal. How can I increase my chances of scoring whilst maintaining control of possession and limiting my oppositions chances.?

The second tactic I use is much more problematic. I wanted to create a tactic for when i wouldn't be able to control possession. This is a slightly different formation (swapping the AM in the first one for a DM) with a cautious mentality. I also set instructions to play at a higher tempo so as to try and hit teams on the counter. However, this tactic even with a DM leads to my opponents having 20+ shots every game and me barely having any. they also control possession and the extended highlights feel like i am just watching a wave of constant attacks. 

I have attached screenshots of both and you'll see the team instructions are quite minimal. Earlier in the season I had many more and was getting battered. I have been constantly tweaking whilst doing my best to avoid the sack. 

Does anyone have any insight into how i can improve? 

2019-04-17.png

2019-04-17 (1).png

On your first (possession) tactic... Basically, playing both strikers on attack duty can work, but is a lot more suitable for a more direct counter-attacking style than it is for a possession-oriented one. For possession football, one of them should be on support in order to avoid their isolation from the rest of the team. Roles-wise, DFL on support and AF are a good combination up front (provided you assigned the roles to right players). You can also use an F9/AF combo, or DLF/PO or F9/PO etc...

1 hour ago, L_SUFC said:

This tactic is generally decent, i control possession as intended (regularly having 65%+ possession) and the opposition tends to not get many shots or chances.  However, I draw so many games that I dominate and rarely score more than 1 goal. How can I increase my chances of scoring whilst maintaining control of possession and limiting my oppositions chances.?

The next step is your team instructions. Using both shorter passing and lower tempo at the same time is a bit of an overkill (as shorter passing already reduces tempo somewhat). My recommendation would be to leave tempo on the default (medium) setting and just use shorter passing. Also add the "Play out of defence", which is always a logical choice when you want to play possession football, because the instruction tells your players to build the play from the back, rather than forcing the issue.

Another instruction that goes hand in hand with possession football is "Work ball into box", which basically instructs players to refrain from too much shooting from distance and/or crossing, and instead look to patiently create more promising scoring chances from inside the box. But for this instruction to work properly, you need players in both midfield and attack who are good enough both on and off the ball (plus intelligent and creative). Otherwise, the instruction can prove rather ineffective.

Now that you have achieved good possession numbers, you need something to make you more dangerous up front. While having a lot of support duties is a "must" for possession football, you also need some penetration from deep to add variety to your play and make it harder for opposition to defend against you. This can be achieved in different ways. You can set one of the WBs to attack duty (preferably that on the right flank) and/or add the Overlap/underlap instruction on the other flank, to make the other WB a bit more attack-minded. 

Alternatively, you can change the BBM to a CM on attack duty, but then the WB on his side should be more conservative (defend duty instead of support) lest the flank be left too exposed. But since you play on the Balanced mentality (as opposed to positive or attacking), this may not be necessary though.

And speaking of mentality, maybe in fact you could increase it a bit and play on Positive, because it will make your players a bit more willing to take risks and play more passes forward, while still basically playing patient possession-based football owing to the team instructions discussed above (short pass, POD and WBIB).

Finally, even if you want to play possession football, it's never a bad idea to use the "Counter" instruction in transition. Because if your players prove unable to break down more defensive opponents in a "regular" way, having counter-attacks as an (additional) option can be a useful "Plan B" (especially if you have fast players up front) :brock:

1 hour ago, L_SUFC said:

The second tactic I use is much more problematic. I wanted to create a tactic for when i wouldn't be able to control possession. This is a slightly different formation (swapping the AM in the first one for a DM) with a cautious mentality. I also set instructions to play at a higher tempo so as to try and hit teams on the counter

Why don't you use the "Counter" instruction (in transition) then (in the first place)?

1 hour ago, L_SUFC said:

However, this tactic even with a DM leads to my opponents having 20+ shots every game and me barely having any. they also control possession and the extended highlights feel like i am just watching a wave of constant attacks

Well, when you decide to play more defensively and on counter attacks, it means you are willing to allow the opposition to dominate the game (for the most part). 

Now, when it comes to counter-attacking football, it is not necessary for you to play on a low-risk mentality (such as cautious or defensive). You can play on positive (or even attacking) mentality, but provided you set up the other elements of the tactic in the right way. But for now, let's assume you want to stick to the Cautious mentality. What team instructions could/should you use in that case?

For example:

In possession - more direct passing, higher tempo, hit early crosses (optionally pass into space, but not necessarily)

In transition - counter, regroup (optionally distribute quickly)

Out of possession - standard d-line, lower LOE, use tighter marking (optionally get stuck in)

The next step - roles and duties. Here playing both strikers on attack duty makes (a lot) more sense.

A possible example:

DLFat     AFat

CMat       BBM

WBde         ACM        WBsu

BPDde    CDco    NCBde

GK/SKde

You can even add the "Overlap left" team instruction to encourage the defend-duty WB on the left to be a bit less defensive (thanks to the low team mentality, he will still be pretty much cautious), but be careful not to overexpose the flank.

NOTE: The "waste time frequently" instruction should be used only in the closing stage of a match - and only in case you already have a result you are satisfied with.

I haven't played with a 5212 system this year so can't pretent I'm an expert on it but the right side of your possession formation seems fairly static. You have the dlf, dlp and WB(s) on that side. Maybe try putting the right wingback to an attack duty?

Archived