Best Tactic For Me?

Hello everyone, I was wondering if you could help me create the right tactic for this game. I've played Football Manager for just over a year now (18 & 19) and I've always seemed to struggle with it to be honest. I've always found the tactics complicating and just found it very difficult to succeed, the way I wanted too. 

I'm planning to have a long successful Chelsea campaign (10 Years). I've already tried twice, but was 10th in the league by January both times (warned about the sack) and it felt really unrealistic/unenjoyable/disappointing. I had it in control possession but didn't really know what I was doing with the boxes (green/red). I also prefer playing out from the back.

The way I'd like to have my team playing is balanced (I like to keep a lot of clean sheets, but dangerously attacking too). The lack of clean sheets/results drives me mad, as its unrealistic for a top team like Chelsea. I think its because of my poor tactics. I seem to loose a lot of away games to average teams and nearly all of them to top teams.

The way I'd like my team to attack is varied. I don't want them to do the same thing, like crosses all the time.  I want them to score from crosses, long shots, close range, set pieces etc.. everything. 

So for my first season, the main goal for me is getting back into the Top 4. Even if its 4th or winning the Europa League.. I'll take it. Next season I'd like to retain Top 4, possibly a cup. Then the killer season hopefully will be the third, where I win the league (hopefully a Champions League at some point in the 10 Years). 

Question No1: If you don't have a box ticked as green in the tactics section (left as empty), does that mean my team won't carry out that instruction at all? Or does it have to be green

Question No2: Can you tell me the right default tactic that will be strong defensively at the back (keep clean sheets half or most the time) and clinical/strong attacking wise for the long term. Tell me everything I need to do and can you explain to me why it will work out that way. 

Question 3: I've explained how I'd like my default tactic to be, but if theirs ever a time to change/adjust for a certain team (top one away for example) or what to look out for when playing different team.. how should I proceed?

Hi, 

I think the easiest way to get some help here, is for you to provide us with the current tactic that you are using and tell us the difficulties that you are experiencing. 

I think that will be a good starting point to try to figure out the best tactic for your team and players. 

7 hours ago, DrogbaCFC said:

Hello everyone, I was wondering if you could help me create the right tactic for this game. I've played Football Manager for just over a year now (18 & 19) and I've always seemed to struggle with it to be honest. I've always found the tactics complicating and just found it very difficult to succeed, the way I wanted too. 

I'm planning to have a long successful Chelsea campaign (10 Years). I've already tried twice, but was 10th in the league by January both times (warned about the sack) and it felt really unrealistic/unenjoyable/disappointing. I had it in control possession but didn't really know what I was doing with the boxes (green/red). I also prefer playing out from the back.

The way I'd like to have my team playing is balanced (I like to keep a lot of clean sheets, but dangerously attacking too). The lack of clean sheets/results drives me mad, as its unrealistic for a top team like Chelsea. I think its because of my poor tactics. I seem to loose a lot of away games to average teams and nearly all of them to top teams.

The way I'd like my team to attack is varied. I don't want them to do the same thing, like crosses all the time.  I want them to score from crosses, long shots, close range, set pieces etc.. everything. 

So for my first season, the main goal for me is getting back into the Top 4. Even if its 4th or winning the Europa League.. I'll take it. Next season I'd like to retain Top 4, possibly a cup. Then the killer season hopefully will be the third, where I win the league (hopefully a Champions League at some point in the 10 Years). 

Question No1: If you don't have a box ticked as green in the tactics section (left as empty), does that mean my team won't carry out that instruction at all? Or does it have to be green

Question No2: Can you tell me the right default tactic that will be strong defensively at the back (keep clean sheets half or most the time) and clinical/strong attacking wise for the long term. Tell me everything I need to do and can you explain to me why it will work out that way. 

Question 3: I've explained how I'd like my default tactic to be, but if theirs ever a time to change/adjust for a certain team (top one away for example) or what to look out for when playing different team.. how should I proceed?

I would suggest reading up on the stickies firstly cos a lot are basic questions on how to set up a tactic.  If you mean by the first question...if you don't pick "hit early crosses" does that mean they wont do that? No. if you don't choose specific Tis, these events can still happen, however they are going to be driven more by roles and duties and specific things happening in the game.. As far as everything else is concerned there is a wealth of information stickied that can help you, at least get off to a start.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived