Improving my Sevilla tactic.

Hi guys,

This is my Sevilla tactic that I made but it is very inconsistent and doesn't do well against mainly the big teams in Spain, I have only beat Barcelona once which I think was a one off win. I finished 6th last year and quite a way off the others above me. 

My main goal scorers are my IF's and my striker was originally down as an AF but tried to change him to a Poacher to not clog up that middle area where the IF's are going into, I added get further forward for both full backs to try and spread defences when I have the ball but I'm just looking to see if anyone can see any "clashing" roles or think that I'm too attacking.

I play with no OI and have my IF's on sit narrower full backs on stay wider and BBM on get further forward, shoot less often, move into channels and mark tighter. not sure if the BBM on those instructions are helping my attack at all as Roque Mesa is just average across the board on every stat.

any help will be great :)

Sevilla tactic.png

A combination of SS and poacher (or any other attack-duty striker) usually does not work very well. Actually, it is more suitable for counter-attacking styles that look to sit deeper and quickly hit opposition on the break, but your tactic is not of that sort (according to your team instructions). If you want both the AMC and striker on attack duty, better combinations are: 

- trequartista and poacher

- AP on attack and AF (or DLFat, PFat)

- SS and trequartista

Two BPDs are a sort of overkill (even if they both have the right attributes for the role).

And then again - the old issue of an extremely one-dimensional setup of roles and duties. More variety is needed.

On the other hand, roles and duties look pretty solid defensively, but some team instructions - like counter-press and more urgent pressing coupled with higher lines and high-risk mentality - could compromise that solidity. 

Btw, Roque Mesa is more suitable for a DLP role than is Vazquez. Vazquez's attributes suggest he could be a good choice for a mezzala or RPM. But using a mezzala in a 4231 can be risky. It can work, but you need to be very careful with how you setup other roles and duties around.

However, you can use Vazquez in the AMC spot and put some more defensively sound player as the other CM alongside Mesa. Moreover, Vazquez IMO would be a better choice for a SS than Sarabia (not least because of better anticipation).

15 hours ago, Experienced Defender said:

A combination of SS and poacher (or any other attack-duty striker) usually does not work very well. Actually, it is more suitable for counter-attacking styles that look to sit deeper and quickly hit opposition on the break, but your tactic is not of that sort (according to your team instructions). If you want both the AMC and striker on attack duty, better combinations are: 

- trequartista and poacher

- AP on attack and AF (or DLFat, PFat)

- SS and trequartista

Two BPDs are a sort of overkill (even if they both have the right attributes for the role).

And then again - the old issue of an extremely one-dimensional setup of roles and duties. More variety is needed.

On the other hand, roles and duties look pretty solid defensively, but some team instructions - like counter-press and more urgent pressing coupled with higher lines and high-risk mentality - could compromise that solidity. 

Thanks for the suggestions.

I think taking the more urgent pressing and taking the higher lines down to standard will help me then and I've changed to a pressing forward and attacking midfielder A seems to be working a little better but my IF's are the ones who score my goals... still conceding a lot of goals though.

15 hours ago, Experienced Defender said:

Btw, Roque Mesa is more suitable for a DLP role than is Vazquez. Vazquez's attributes suggest he could be a good choice for a mezzala or RPM. But using a mezzala in a 4231 can be risky. It can work, but you need to be very careful with how you setup other roles and duties around.

However, you can use Vazquez in the AMC spot and put some more defensively sound player as the other CM alongside Mesa. Moreover, Vazquez IMO would be a better choice for a SS than Sarabia (not least because of better anticipation).

I managed to get Rabiot on a free from PSG so he plays DLP mainly for me and Mesa being the BBM as he's the only one suited for that role. what do you think the most important attributes for BBM are? I know they are shown in game but there are a lot of them

1 hour ago, Speedylad123 said:

Mesa being the BBM

Mesa can play as a BBM, if judged by his attributes.

1 hour ago, Speedylad123 said:

what do you think the most important attributes for BBM are?

positioning, tackling, off the ball, first touch, anticipation, decisions, acceleration, passing, work rate, stamina, teamwork... some of these could be more important than others (depending on what's your general style of play and formation), but all are important to a certain degree.

When playing against the big teams I would go for a balanced or careful mentality to not be overrun too quickly. Also a standard defensive line. 

Higher line of engagement in order not to give them too much time on the ball. 

At least one of your CMs on defend and perhaps the full backs as well, depending on who their direct opponents are. Better still to play with a DM instead of AMC, and then one CM on support and one on attack.

Defend narrow - I wouldn't set that as standard, only do that when your opponent attacks through the centre which I find is very rarely the case. You'll probably get hit on the flanks easily. I usually pick standard width. 

Tight marking - I would not set that as a standard team instruction but only use that on one or a few of the opponent's key players. Especially when the opponent has many quick players you wouldn't stand a chance.

I'm playing with Sporting Gijon as a newly promoted side and I won against both Barca and Real with a 4-1-4-1. It is essentially the same as the 4-2-3-1 you use (and me as well against weaker opponents), you just replace an AMC with a DM on defend. The DM can deal with the AMC and/or the IF many of the top teams use. Then my CMs are usually a DLP on support and an AP either on support or attack. 

Sevilla is one of the hardest opponents for me though, even knocked my out of the Copa del Rey.

Archived