Structure & Conversations

kevgaleuk

I have no doubt that these are likely to have been discussed at some stage but just in case...

Structure:

More and more clubs are now employing sporting directors alongside finance or managing directors. They hire & fire the manager, they meet regularly with them about all aspects of the clubs direction (playing style, results, new additions to the squad in the next transfer window, or the one after that etc - more pre-planning for the club)

It would be great if this was added IMO. Some clubs would operate the old way of doing things I.e. you are in control of everything whereas others you don't because the sporting director does which I think would add an interesting dynamic in terms of the relationship you have to build up with them

Interaction:

I increasingly put more of the things that happen into my DoF or staff hands to expedite gameplay but you hit a bit of a wall as you can't direct even if you don't want to do. For example I have training & individual training handed off. I have a new goalkeeper who isn't quite a perfect fit for a sweeper keeper role but he is young and has potential. However I can't (without taking control of training) have him trained to get better at that side of things. It would be great to be able to advise my staff member that that is my wish

And this then gets me to the interaction side of things. Training, Scouting and even things like pre-season fixture creation would be great if they were more conversation based than just reports

In training I would like to have options to ask questions - who has trained well, who hasn't and why? Who needs specific attention? Are there any things that I have noticed from games or about individuals that I want the team to focus on (we seem off tactically so lets add more of that this week, we didn't look fit, X player isn't crossing the ball very well etc)

In scouting I would like to have a conversation about the various reports, be able to ask about specific players they have scouted, a discursive comparison between two players around stats, personality, short and longer term potential, comparison with existing players etc. Be able to ask them to look for a certain position. And then depending on how it is set up regarding whether I or the club buy the players add them to an immediate need, next window or future player request list

In a scenario where the DoF/SD is buying the player - more interaction RE first attempt failed do we continue or look at a similar player? Have them come to me with alternative players and maybe a new planning session about areas of the team needing strengthening now and in the future (i.e. clubs plan well beyond the next transfer window)

In transfer negotiations & contract negotiations - make them more conversation based so agreeing the component parts not just tweak the pick-list with the addition of tone playing a part i.e. keeping calm vs getting slightly annoyed when the agent insists on a ridiculous fee etc.

• 2 months later...

Archived