MLS Advice?

Hi, so I just started a save with a bunch of leagues loaded from approx 14 nations. I started unemployed however I wasn't too interested in starting right at the bottom so I gave myself good experience to give me more control of the type of job I can take. And well, about 2 months in, the LAFC job became available, since they are a brand new team I decided to apply. I got the job but they gave the me option to wait until the start of the next season before I actually take over, so I took that option.

So prior to me taking over, I thought I'd take a look at the league rules and stuff for MLS, and it looked very overwhelming, I know barely nothing about MLS and I notice some drafts and various transfer windows and hell knows what else.

Basically I'm seeking advice and tips for the MLS from anyone who is actually familiar with how the league works, because I'm very confused lol.

Any little information you have would be greatly appreciated!

I have a bit of experience from past games. Basically you want to increase Allocated Money to stretch salary cap, and get more International Slots to sign quality players from abroad (as free agents if possible). You can do this via trades and I wouldn't mind giving up draft picks or other average players as I value AM and Int. Slots much higher . Also keep an eye on waivers and re-entry draft as you could get useful players for free. Loaning american players from european clubs could be a good short term option to fill roster with good players - good players with USA nationality are a huge asset under MLS rules until you can increase number of international slots.

7 minutes ago, kandersson said:

I have a bit of experience from past games. Basically you want to increase Allocated Money to stretch salary cap, and get more International Slots to sign quality players from abroad (as free agents if possible). You can do this via trades and I wouldn't mind giving up draft picks or other average players as I value AM and Int. Slots much higher . Also keep an eye on waivers and re-entry draft as you could get useful players for free. Loaning american players from european clubs could be a good short term option to fill roster with good players - good players with USA nationality are a huge asset under MLS rules until you can increase number of international slots.

Brilliant, thanks for replying. Could you elaborate a bit more on how to get more allocated International player slots, I'm a bit unclear, you said via trades but I don't even know how trades work yet! Haha, I have no knowledge of MLS so I'm trying to piece together every bit of information I can get.

It does sound a bit complicated but it gets easier in time. You'll see you have a specific option for MLS to start a trade with any other team in the league. You can also offer your players to other MLS clubs only and negotiate trade offers you receive. MLS clubs can trade players or other assets (draft picks, allocated money, international slots) and you will have those option available in the trade screen. General Allocation Money will be particularly useful because it will let you go over the strict salary cap (you can do this 'buying down' individual contracts on player's contract screen). Buying additional International Slots will let you sign more foreign players (I think initial limit is 7 or 8?) which is a key to improve quality of your squad. You can even acquire international slots for just two or three years! Personally i think the ability to accumulate allocated money and international slots is the biggest human advantage against AI in MLS.

Archived