Tactical advice: making a wide player your primary goalscorer

This is an unusual topic so bare with me...

I have a great suite of tactics that work really well for me and I tend to win 85% of games I play with them. So why do I need advice? Because the tactic is supposed to be executed with my wide forward (Mo Salah in this case) being our primary goalscorer however my central striker (who is a deep-lying forward set to support) always seems to score the majority of our goals.

The tactic(s)

I primarily start most games (except away at similar level clubs) with my attacking system which is direct and high tempo with the front three (two inside forwards either side of a deep-lying foward) all roaming. Behind them I have a deep-lying playmaker sitting, a central midfielder linking things up and a central attacking midfielder providing runs from deep (he tends to score  a lot too). 

The system is fluid and has addressed one of the issues i used to have (breaking down deep blocks) as I tend to win those games 1-0 switching between the above tactic and my even more aggressive overload version.

I know this sounds bonkers but the fact the tactic isn't working exactly as it should is annoying me. So my question is: 

Has anyone ever got a wide player to function as their main goalscorer successfully and what am I doing wrong? 

On 11/09/2018 at 15:54, Ampalaea4 said:

Check this thread. Apart from a good read, the tactic is what you ask for. The main goal force is the Left Winger who play as Inside Forward 

Thanks for posting this - really good read.

It's actually helped me solve the issue, which was two fold. Firstly I was playing wing backs on attack who were getting too high and occupying the wide area forcing my inside forward too close to the opposition fullback. Playing fullbacks on attack kept them high but crucially not in the space my inside forward is looking to run into. I also dropped him into a support role so he would receive more of the ball slightly deeper.

Archived