Got promoted in FM 18, now face problem

So, as my title states, I got myself promoted from the lowest tier Swedish league to a slightly higher one. Which is great and all, nu board loves me, my players (mostly) love me, the fans love me. All is well.

Well, except for the fact that I now face the immense challenge of entrenching myself in my new league, and avoid relegation - which is the fate that awaits the previous team that made the jump up.

Basically, my problem is this: How do I effectively scout for players that is good enough for my new level? How do I gauge which ones from my team is fit to continue the Journey with the team? How do I get rid of subpar and unwanted players?

I also figure that the first season will probably require a defensive approach from me. I've been running a 4-4-2, is there a good way to make that a useful defensive tactic? Is there a better one?

Other than that, I'm immensely thankful for any and all pointers you, my fellow FM'ers can give me. I am fairly new to this game, and to in depth football tactics in general. I'm learning by doing, but anything that can help me improve - and cement my position in my new league - is appreciated.

On 09/07/2018 at 15:40, Loriya said:

So, as my title states, I got myself promoted from the lowest tier Swedish league to a slightly higher one. Which is great and all, nu board loves me, my players (mostly) love me, the fans love me. All is well.

Well, except for the fact that I now face the immense challenge of entrenching myself in my new league, and avoid relegation - which is the fate that awaits the previous team that made the jump up.

Basically, my problem is this: How do I effectively scout for players that is good enough for my new level?

a) Try and visually compare the player you're scouting with the guy whose place he could take in your team. (b) Try and check the kind of players at teams in mid-table positions in the past season, and aim to get players of that level of attributes (c) The star system will help you with all this. When scouting players, 3/3.5 current ability stars means the player is around as good or slightly better as his present equivalent in your first team.

How do I gauge which ones from my team is fit to continue the Journey with the team?

Which were your best performers? Ideally you should retain them and try and improve the weaker parts from last season's team. Try and avoid an excess of new players, both for financial and team cohesion reasons.

How do I get rid of subpar and unwanted players?

You'll need to assess which players could be of use to potential buyers and focus your selling attempts on them. You won't really get much cash for your 3rd keeper or 33-year-old backup left full-back, after all. Try and offer them out, decreasing the asking price whenever selling attempts are unsuccessful. You may end up having to send some of them away on loan with only a partial wage contribution from the loaning club, if you're really desperate to move them on. This is where you should have done your homework the previous season(s); contract management is very important to ensure that you don't have too many excess players to move on after the end of the season. 1 or 2 year contracts maximum, and if they're any good you either try and give them longer contracts, or if they reject them, sell them before they can sign Bosmans.

I also figure that the first season will probably require a defensive approach from me. I've been running a 4-4-2, is there a good way to make that a useful defensive tactic? Is there a better one?

It really depends on your players and how good they are. There's not much difference between a 4-4-2 and a 4-2-3-1, for example.

Other than that, I'm immensely thankful for any and all pointers you, my fellow FM'ers can give me. I am fairly new to this game, and to in depth football tactics in general. I'm learning by doing, but anything that can help me improve - and cement my position in my new league - is appreciated.

I always aim to trawl through the released players list (or those whose contract is expiring) and try and pick up players on free transfers. Looking at big clubs' reserve and youth team list may also help you find some players who you could loan.

Also, try and settle on a system and avoid chopping and changing all the time, as your team won't be able to settle otherwise. You will probably have worse results this year when compared to last season and there is no harm in changing the odd player every game, or tweaking your tactic a little bit to adapt and sort any issues you might encounter. But changing 7/8 players from the starting line-up every game, or changing formations every 30 mins will be detrimental to your performances.

Hope this helps...

Good advice from Mons and yes the 442 can be very solid as a defensive tactic while keeping the ability to hit on the break - good pacey wingers.

My go-to formation for Parking the Bus would be the 4141 - not too drastic a change from the 442 - with a player in the DM strata protecting the back four as better teams will get in between your lines and punish your 442. Especially those that play an AMC.

Set up a few pre-season games against stronger opposition and test the tactic, get your players familiar with defending against teams that come at you aggressively - save the last three friendlies for morale-boosting games against weaker teams though.

3 hours ago, Loriya said:

Thank you both for your pointers! They will no doubt be useful help moving forward. 

Will have to get a DM for the 4-1-4-1, definitely a tactic worth trying out.

If one of your CMs is good defensively - a DLP-D or BWM say, you can play him there even though his 'green circle' shows otherwise. If he has the attributes he can play the position.

Archived