Oh the shame - Even social media mocks us.

I'm managing Wrexham in the Vanarama National.   It's still early in the season -

ladder.thumb.png.57d0530b4090e02e1b49c19089a4f608.png

But we were way clear at the start of the season.  But are now in serious free-fall.    This week I spent too much time chiding most of my team for bulk downward brown arrows in their training reports.  Morale is all shades of poor from one end of the pitch to the other.

This is the result of trying to wean myself off my addction to plug'n'play download tactics and so skimmed through a few threads here, and settled on a formation.   and Tis etc

formation.thumb.png.2dc805650472cb0b86b204aeeb4d4a54.pngTI.thumb.png.279ce33f5c9d36027e81ae145d113aad.png

This week was too much for me, blown away by a twitter-storm....

5aadfc33e8049_suttontweets.thumb.png.5ce012a09325f37ce37ab3d8beec6a19.png

My Assistant Manager keeps telling me to change to 4-4-2 plus tweaks.  Unfortunately I'm still heavily under the influence of TTF9 and the rest of the set'n'forget crowd who say don't touch anything.  Just send the lads out onto the pitch and take yourself off to the VIP lounge and sip on a latte and watch the match on the big monitor.

Maybe I should resign and sign on as an assistant manager for Newport-Pagnell in the United Counties League Premier Division.  If they'll have me.

Or ask you guys how do i turn this around?

The main problem it looks like you're gonna have is penetration, which is a problem I'm also having with this exact same formation. I've even got similar roles set to you.

While you have got 3 attack duties, getting players into the box that should put you in good stead, you also have low tempo, playing from the back and retain possession, which is going to hurt you in terms of allowing the opposition to keep their defensive line organised.

What I expect you're seeing right now is a high amount of long shots even if you tell every player to shoot less often, few/no chances coming from open play, and possession for possession's sake.

IMO what you should do is see how you get on with your tactic, look closely at shots on target, chance creation and long shots, then take off Low Tempo and Retain Possession and see how that changes things.

I also think while you have the right duties set in the AML, STC and AMR slots, what you're telling the players to do isn't getting these two guys into the box much, so you're strongly relying on your striker and really hoping that the CM(A) gets up fast enough to get on the end of things (he probably isn't, but the higher mentality you've set helps). What you really need is a Raumdeuter or Inside Forward for that penetration. The DLF doesn't really have anybody to play the ball to that will get behind except the CM(A), and how often is that happening? I'm pretty sure the wingers will stay wide unless they have the Moves Into Channels PPM.

You may have the right idea with Structured shape though. That may help you transition faster which will help break the problems caused by low tempo, but it may also cause isolation in attack that this formation suffers from.

I know you said you don't wanna be the plug and play guy but maybe this is more what you're looking for, or along these lines.

Here I've got a FB(A) pushing up to overlap the winger and hopefully push him inside a bit so he gets more involved in the box. I've got a WB(S) pushing up to support the IF(A) and hopefully supply balls down the line. The IF(A) is a clear target for the winger and both full backs, as well as the DLF. And like you I've got a CM(A) pushing up as a runner from deep. On top of all this, in the centre of the park I have a RPM who should take control of that AMC space that's wide open in this formation and be the central supply in the team. Maybe an AP(S) is better. Maybe DM(D) or Anchor Man is better as the DM. But I'm pretty sure the right playmaker to support attacks isn't the DLP, because I doubt it puts a big enough dent in that space and I reckon it would make the attackers too isolated.

I've gone with IF(A) here because i feel the IF(S) doesn't overlap the DLF(A).

Also, rather than a winger, it could be worth toying with a wide AP(S) and ditching the central playmaker and opting for a nice and safe CM(S). Maybe using both would work.

No tactic is gonna win you every game and certain formations straight up put others at disadvantages. For example, a team playing 3-5-2 against this setup is probably going to do well. In fact it was doing so well I decided to make a 3-5-2 of my own whenever someone plays this 4-3-3.

20180318061631_1.jpg

Sounds like maybe I am only a few tweaks and shuffles away from recovery.  Such a fine hair.  However from my experience I've yet to find a complete forward nor a Raumdeuter down in Vanarama.  Same goes for an RPM.  Tell a Vanarama player his duty is to roam and the only shooting he does is off to the pub.

What about changing formation?  I've got the lads who can re-group as a 442.   What will be the outcome of carrying a 442 as a 2nd tactic with the same team instructions (almost).  Will it benefit to have two shapes or a one size fitz-all is the best way?

Archived