Guidetofootball, quote, question

4D71D553-60CF-48EF-A608-8604EC961593.thumb.png.329b28a47c2298d774ad0c72475ce598.png

I did not understand the idea that in order to build up play from deep with short passes you need to somehow include a high risk mentality and long passing approach in your tactical instructions. Isn’t it contradicting? Same applies to direct passing system included in the attachments.

1DC5EA82-C6A1-465C-81B6-00292AD56AF7.png

You might be better off asking that website to explain things as it's not connected to SI.

From reading those snippets I don't understand what they are trying to explain.  For example, a high risk mentality (such as Attacking) sets more direct passing by default, so quite why you'd then want to add short passing to most outfield players in order to "implement a more direct passing range" sounds odd.

Direct Passing is just direct passing. The game already has passing range systems embedded into them.

You can ask a team to play short passing on any mentality.  

A team will try more pentetrative passes as a result of several things in common.

You can have a defensive style of play where you attempt to hit teams on the break quickly. Specific players can be told to play the ball intelligently and safely from the back or they could be told to play hoofball. This can be done on ANY mentality.

The snippets you have extracted are very confusing to say the least because it implies that certain passing styles can only achieved on certain mentalities, which as far as I know is wrong. You can have a high possession tactic where players aren’t as penetrative even on Overload.

Penetration is a result of choosing the right roles and duties to attack space, and that is achieved when certain roles and duties receive the ball. In other words you have a bunch of players working the ball intelligently before a player could opt to drift into space creating a 1v1, that is spotted by a player who has the instruction to look for players in such positions.

This is achieveable on all mentalities and shape so to assert that a specific mentality/ passing style achieves that confuses me. I would suggest contacting them to clarify this. Otherwise, you can pop into the SI Ask Anything thread and hope that one of the SI devs can help you.

I'd guess they mean for defensive players pick a low mentality role and combine it with short passing, whilst for attacking player pick high mentality roles with direct passing - with the idea being you're defenders will keep the ball slowly moving it forward when a chance comes, whilst when your attackers get the ball they want to pass it forward as quickly as possible. It seems more about setting individual instructions rather than team instructions.

Though it seems the website is just a general football site rather than something dedicated to Football Manager so the terms they use may not directly translate to FM.

Sorry for late reply. I do not use Internet frequently.

On 17.03.2018 at 00:54, herne79 said:

You might be better off asking that website to explain things as it's not connected to SI.

From reading those snippets I don't understand what they are trying to explain.  For example, a high risk mentality (such as Attacking) sets more direct passing by default, so quite why you'd then want to add short passing to most outfield players in order to "implement a more direct passing range" sounds odd.

I don't know whether the site is specifically connected to SI, but they stated in the website that the framework they provide applies to Football Manager game series. And by that they mean this game.  Still whether it is an official guide I don't know but it seems like it. They also say that the information provided is the theorotical basis of the guide in the guidetofootballmanager website.

On 17.03.2018 at 12:00, Rashidi said:

Direct Passing is just direct passing. The game already has passing range systems embedded into them.

You can ask a team to play short passing on any mentality.  

A team will try more pentetrative passes as a result of several things in common.

You can have a defensive style of play where you attempt to hit teams on the break quickly. Specific players can be told to play the ball intelligently and safely from the back or they could be told to play hoofball. This can be done on ANY mentality.

The snippets you have extracted are very confusing to say the least because it implies that certain passing styles can only achieved on certain mentalities, which as far as I know is wrong. You can have a high possession tactic where players aren’t as penetrative even on Overload.

Penetration is a result of choosing the right roles and duties to attack space, and that is achieved when certain roles and duties receive the ball. In other words you have a bunch of players working the ball intelligently before a player could opt to drift into space creating a 1v1, that is spotted by a player who has the instruction to look for players in such positions.

This is achieveable on all mentalities and shape so to assert that a specific mentality/ passing style achieves that confuses me. I would suggest contacting them to clarify this. Otherwise, you can pop into the SI Ask Anything thread and hope that one of the SI devs can help you.

18 hours ago, michaeltmurrayuk said:

I'd guess they mean for defensive players pick a low mentality role and combine it with short passing, whilst for attacking player pick high mentality roles with direct passing - with the idea being you're defenders will keep the ball slowly moving it forward when a chance comes, whilst when your attackers get the ball they want to pass it forward as quickly as possible. It seems more about setting individual instructions rather than team instructions.

Though it seems the website is just a general football site rather than something dedicated to Football Manager so the terms they use may not directly translate to FM.

Upon further consideration, I think it is about what michaeltmurrayuk said. It has to do with specific player instructions. By the way I also sent an email to the site and asked them this issue and also whether it is like an official guide or not, Hopefully they will answer that. Anyway thanks for all the replies I really appreciate this

4 minutes ago, Usame said:

I don't know whether the site is specifically connected to SI, but they stated in the website that the framework they provide applies to Football Manager game series. And by that they mean this game.  Still whether it is an official guide I don't know but it seems like it. They also say that the information provided is the theorotical basis of the guide in the guidetofootballmanager website.

Like I said, it's not connected to SI and therefore it is not an official guide.  The guidetofootballmanager website is not connected or an official guide either.

They are fan sites that players of the game have put together themselves.  There is some useful information on those sites and they can be useful as a guide, but there is also some opinion, guesswork and, unfortunately, inaccuracies.

1 hour ago, herne79 said:

Like I said, it's not connected to SI and therefore it is not an official guide.  The guidetofootballmanager website is not connected or an official guide either.

They are fan sites that players of the game have put together themselves.  There is some useful information on those sites and they can be useful as a guide, but there is also some opinion, guesswork and, unfortunately, inaccuracies.

I got it. I think I thought it is official because the guide is so precise and written in a well-thought manner, and also because of the name of the website. Thanks for the clarification

Archived