How do you pull off giant kills?

Usually they have faster and technically gifted players and try to exploit any gaps behind your defence like that. So firstly you do best by playing a deep defensive line with low closing down by defenders, not even closing down crosses and just sitting in the box. Your main goal in defence is to have them take long shots as their best hope and then you just have to fade the occasional screamer from distance.

In attack you need a high mentality. Get it forward quickly, get your guys forward quickly to max your penetration and take risks doing so.

So try playing with a low block, but high mentality. Set your defence PI's to close down less and few risky passes, have a deep d-line, but have a control or attacking mentality. Pass into space.

You need quick attackers and defenders who are good in the air.

4-5-1 or 442 is ideal for this.

Just a balanced system should work.

My 4-4-1-1 pulls it off sometimes. I make sure to make the backline more conservative, no attacking fullbacks, because the bigger teams are likely to over-commit in attack. Ergo, I in theory need less people going forward. I prefer to lock down the middle as well, so two of my three midfielders will be on holding duties. The middle is where it is won or lost I think. 

If I see the opposition taking lots of long shots, I know I'm on the right track. I don't like dropping deeper, as that can result in getting pinned, and more often than not loose shots will get through and we'll end up in a situation where we clear it, only for the opposition to recycle the attack. It also depends on the opposition formation, for me anyway, I always get hammered when the AI Play a 4-2-3-1, I just can't counteract it at all. :p 

Archived