[Discussion] Press Articles and Match Reports with Tactical Analysis

Paulo191

This is not an overhaul feature, but it would be a great addition to help us understant what we might be doing wrong (or right!). It would serve as a guide to a possible problem.

Ok, FM18 has proven to be a more in-depth game with fundamental analysis features from what we've seen from the released videos, with that tactical pitch with different colors, for example, showing our faulty positions.

But I think it would be more realistic if those match reports and press articles about the games could bring some more in-depth information, instead of just describing some highlights and goals (and mostly, times of the goals). I don't know about you guys, but I personally don't read those - and I think almost nobody does -, as they just state the obvious.

To make it clearer what I'm talking about, just give this article a glance: http://www.skysports.com/football/news/15126/10693835/pep-guardiola-might-have-to-compromise-on-his-style-after-man-citys-defeat-to-leicester

Nick Wright, the author, outlines some key points about Man City after their 4-2 defeat against Leicester last year. I know it is a long text, but I'm not asking for such a long detailed story like that. What it's really interesting there is the analisys of some possible mistakes Pep was to address, like he states here:

The issues were laid bare at the King Power Stadium on Saturday, where John Stones was the only natural central defender in a loosely-organised back three with Bacary Sagna and Aleksandar Kolarov. Further forward, Pablo Zabaleta appeared to be occupying an inverted wing-back position.

The result was defensive chaos. Leicester gleefully exploited the giant gaps in City's exposed rearguard, and three goals in 20 minutes had Guardiola's shell-shocked players casting confused looks towards the dugout. They were "all over the place", in the words of Sky Sports pundit Jamie Carragher. "Those defenders are not helped by the tactics of the manager," he added.

Saturday saw Guardiola employ his third different formation in the space of a week after City's games against Celtic and Chelsea, and the 45-year-old has made more line-up changes (50) than any other manager over the course of the Premier League season.

One of the things we can take from this excerpt is the fact of using three different formations in such a short period of time, for example, doesn't help at all for a team to  gain a solid tactical understanding, which may have been one of the reasons why Man City lost that match and were having defensive problems.

So, in order to make those match reports and press articles of the game more relevant, reasonable tactical analysis should be taken into consideration.

I know this is just a minor addition. And I also know it must not be easy to do. But it could bring a useful insight to the manner we approach our match preparation and, along with the new tactical analysis features that are being implemented in this year version, it would give us a more complete feedback.

• 1 month later...

Archived