Make the Most of Set Pieces

westy8chimp

A huge part of FM for me is being able to emulate real life managers style of football with various teams. I don't feel alone in this as the tactics thread is always full of topics concerning the worlds most famous tacticians past and present.

I started a save recently where I just wanted to be one of the poorer sides and sign big players and try to use set pieces and defensive solidarity to maintain league status. Think West Brom, Burnley, Stoke of old, Allardyce's West Ham.

One thing they all shared was that in order to make the most of set pieces - they would use every opportunity to attack from them. This would often even include the GK launching long from well inside his own half.

I thought that by selecting such a team, and going with the philosophy 'make the most of set pieces' I might achieve this effect, however, I cannot see any way (and it didn't happen automatically) to make my team treat a free kick in their own half (or even just inside the opposition half) as an attacking set play.

I think it should be possible - whether it is in the set piece creator as a standalone tactical choice... or it be tied in with the philosophy (i.e. you choose the philosophy and as a benefit you are then able to have more control over set pieces, but as a negative there may be some fan backlash or less leniency from the board when results go against you).  

I feel the game lacks in many ways to allow us to stamp our identity on the team (especially tactically). Your tactical preference (identity) should then tie into how the press treat you, and form your management DNA (may hinder you if you leave Burnley and apply for Barcelona for instance), or certain players may not want to work with you if they feel you would restrict their creative freedom too much.

• 1 month later...

Archived