2 deep lying playmakers in a 4-2-3-1 system

I'm currently playing an attacking style 4-2-3-1. I think 2 playmakers is a bit overkill. I usually use the combo (DLP defensive + CM support) or (DLP support + BWM defensive). That gives a good balance and still plenty of creativity. With 2 DLP back there they will both become ball magnets and cancel some of the benefit of each other. I also find that having too many playmakers makes the players get too close to each other and leaves you unbalanced and vulnerable to counterattack.

If you're curious, my system looks like 

AF (A)             

IF (A)    APM (A)    W(S)

DLP (S)    BWM(D)

WB (S) CD (D) CD (D) WB(S)

It's really good for short passing and also counterattacking.

Isn't one of the only differences between a DLP(s) and CM(s) that the DLP sets a team instruction to pass to him? So rather than having 2 players next to each other who are both always trying to receive the ball at the same time, maybe a more generic CM with some creative PIs would work better (more risky passes etc.)

I play 2 DLPs sometimes (one Def one Sup) if the combo of players is there, particularly if I'm being more cautious for a bit as someone pointed out they can be like ball magnets so it can benefit possession and patient play. That said, it can also help you drag a tight team forward a bit to create space too.

9 hours ago, Cal585 said:

Isn't one of the only differences between a DLP(s) and CM(s) that the DLP sets a team instruction to pass to him? So rather than having 2 players next to each other who are both always trying to receive the ball at the same time, maybe a more generic CM with some creative PIs would work better (more risky passes etc.)

The DLP has extra instructions to hold back more, and shoot less. So they get less involved in attacking third afaik. That's also what I observe.

On July 26, 2017 at 10:30, nimmospurs said:

is playing 2 deep lying playmakers in a 4-2-3-1 a good idea with one on defend and the other on support with amc on attacking midfield attack

Nothing wrong with it at all. It's one of my favorite combinations in midfield for 4231 formation.

I would recommend to use AMR/L on Support Duty and more adventurous fullback on the same side as the DLP-D.

39 minutes ago, yonko said:

Nothing wrong with it at all. It's one of my favorite combinations in midfield for 4231 formation.

I would recommend to use AMR/L on Support Duty and more adventurous fullback on the same side as the DLP-D.

yeah I will give it a go and put the right full back on attack I also play with 2 inside forwards on support

2 minutes ago, nimmospurs said:

yeah I will give it a go and put the right full back on attack I also play with 2 inside forwards on support

You can have one of the Inside Forwards on Attack if your Striker is on Support Duty.

8 hours ago, Isura said:

The DLP has extra instructions to hold back more, and shoot less. So they get less involved in attacking third afaik. That's also what I observe.

Shoot less at least is easy enough to give as a PI. I assume Hold Position would work as well. Point is that you can create a playmaker without specifically being one and the only difference should be passing priority for other players.

Archived