Half back

I dont fully understand this role. From what i gather its a DM who drops deep and acts like a sweeper when the team doesnt have the ball but then sits in the hole between the defence and midfield when the team has the ball...is that right? thanks all.

8 minutes ago, cns180784 said:

I dont fully understand this role. From what i gather its a DM who drops deep and acts like a sweeper when the team doesnt have the ball but then sits in the hole between the defence and midfield when the team has the ball...is that right? thanks all.

Other way around. 

13 hours ago, VV Bal op de Lat said:

Here's a great explanation about the role with some actual footage of the movements and actions from a halfback:

Cheers!

Cheers and a good vid, explains it well. What i like is how the role helps a team play out from the back by giving the CB's an extra short passing option when in their own half. Does seem to be a role that suits possession style football. From that vid you can see the guy's team (United) despite losing and having less shots had 58% possession away from home. Still what good is possession when you cant win the match? would have been better to watch highlights of a formation with a Half Back that wins the game.

Archived