Unexpected promotion to League 1

I'm playing a save with Wycombe. Against all odds we became champions in league 2. Especially between November and February we were really good. Our start and finish were pretty bad. We also had some luck. Our competitors lost a lot of points. We finished top table but with the fewest points of all my selected leagues in England (From Premier League till Vanarama Nation North/South).

Now I'm in June 2017, preparing for the new season in League 1. But the lack of quality in my squad concerns me. I'm able to get some new players. I have some space in the wage budget but the transfer budget is only 100K (euro). Michael Cain (Leicester - Blackpool loan, TOTY League 2), Brad Potts (Blackpool, TOTY League 2) and Dean Henderson (Man utd - Grimbsy loan) are my first signings.

I've always the attraction to buy young players on Football Manager. But I think I need some experienced players too. Especially in a relegation battle. Now I'll show you my tactic (It worked very good in away games in League 2, at home it was more difficult):

58ac2408a9980_ScreenShot2017-02-21at08_08_12.thumb.png.baad67ca814577dd07c5177bf6b8ebb2.png

Personal instructions:

Watt: cross from byline
Harriman: roam from position
Jacobson stay wider + run wide with ball
De Hallivand: close down more + mark tighter
Pierre: hold position

58ac23e89ef4d_ScreenShot2017-02-21at08_08_26.thumb.png.7b153d4a91e949ce21ea43cc3e74261a.png

Sometimes I changed my CDM to CAM.
(Mavididi, Gape were on loan) + (Rowe is actually a Central Defender, he was some 'emergency option' on RB)

- What improvements could I make (Tactical + player roles + instructions). Is it suicide to play with a high line (my defenders aren't that slow).
- What are importent stats for players of teams in the bottom of League 1. (Please, relate this to my tactic, so don't begin to talk about false 9 strikers etc :D).
- Every remark is welcome, also info about players which are the most important in my tactic.

I would change a few roles and maybe a few shouts:

How good defensively is your team?

with the ppm's you gave to Jacobson I would change his role to Fullback and either Support or Attack especially if you envision him overlapping the Watt

with ppm's you gave Dehavilland I would change his role to CD-Defend, Pierre already has cover duty and it is like a last ditch defense (needs good Anticipation, Concentration, and Decisions)

The Right back should have a support or Defend role.......since the winger in front has attack role.

I might lose the tighter marking shout since it conflicts with be more disciplined.........tight marking generally ruins defensive shape while stay disciplined reminds players to retain defensive shape

I would also give the wingers Cross More often, and more risky passes

DLP more risky passes, and train him the Killer balls ppm

I would lose Work Ball into box........I'm guessing you want fast counter attacks.......like Leicester  last year.

My two cents.......

@Hootieleece Thanks for your reply. I will take your comments into account and test some things during the preperation season.

I might lose the tighter marking shout since it conflicts with be more disciplined.

Didn't knew that at all. It seems a bit strange for me because I would think a disciplined defender will mark tighter. But I'll be wrong

I would lose Work Ball into box..

I turned it on after a few games because we started shooting from everywhere. Maybe I have to turn this off and give some personal instructions which restrict shooting from distance.

The shooting from everywhere is related to composure, concentration, and decisions, I even see it with the shoot less often instruction and work ball into box Team instruction........I have some dumb players! (Playing in League2 with York City after an unexpected League win &promotion from Vanarama )

I generally set my team instructions to as few as possible and set up using standard.......then change based on who and where I'm playing. Example: I often play with defensive ticked during away matches.......I make the changes in TI's before hitting the Pep talk answers.

Quick thoughts...

'Work Ball Into Box' with two wingers and a target man looks counter-intuitive. WBIB reduces crossing and looking to recycle possession back into the centre of the pitch.

I'd be concerned about the lack of options for your target man if he gains possession. Especially if you're playing direct. Who is he flicking it onto? On top of that, you're telling your team to clear it to the flanks. How exactly do you want to build up the play? If you want to get it out wide for your wingers to supply the target man, you want more crossing, and an attack duty for the TM.

Absence of runners supporting the attack from the midfield would worry me. I'd think you want a BBM or a CM/A in there. A CM/S as a bare minimum.

Tighter marking and two CBs on Cover duty doesn't look complementary.

I'd consider brining your AMR/L back to the wide midfield slots, but see how it goes. I had the same issue as you, somehow getting Morecambe promoted at the first time of asking, and bringing in young players. I managed to finish 12th in League one using the 4-1-4-1, but no reason it can't be done with your formation. All I would say is be prepared to stick to your guns. The first half of the season might get a bit sticky (I was 20th at Christmas), but your younger players should develop some as the season wears on.

Important attributes... Well, the physical side of the game matters, so you want some quick, strong players. You want CBs (and maybe FBs) with good strength and jumping reach, and you want fast wide players. If you expect to be under the cosh for long periods of matches, you want to minimise the number of players in your team with poor defensive stats (marking, tackling, teamwork). You might get away with a flimsy winger, but the rest should be able to 'do a shift'. I'm not sure you need experienced players, per se, but you want players who can dig in when it's going badly. Determination, Decisions and Composure are your friends there. Older players tend to have better mental stats of course. Don't just rely on stats - check your player reports as well as they reveal stuff about the hidden attributes, such as whether players are good in big matches, how professional they are, and so on.

Also... get a good 'keeper!

Hope that helps.

Archived