Question About Initial Setup

Do the performance stars really matter?  Should I exceed the number of recommended players?  Does this part matter, and the performance part not so much?  

My computer performance gets 4.5 stars (MacBook pro) so if I can run every nation, is it a good idea, provided I stay under the recommended player count of 125,000?  I can't get every league in and stay under 125,000, but I could still represent every nation and just cut out some of the lower leagues and reduce the player database to accomplish this.  What do people think is the best way to start a save...with a larger database and fewer leagues, or more leagues, and a larger database?  MY OTHER BIG question is: is this a good idea, and would there likely be any real big performance issues and/or gameplay ramifications, such as having way too many players.

Thank you in advance for your time and help...it is greatly appreciated.  I have purchased every version of FM, yet have never been able to really delve into a long term save due to my involvement with OOTP.  I want to make sure I start off on the right foot (no pun) and really get involved with learning  not only the nuiances of FM, but also football in general.  I am going to start with the MLS, being manager of the Philadelphia Union.  Really looking forward to the fun...being a greenhorn (even though I am somewhat familiar with FM) it's very exciting, and an incredible mature management sim to get started with

If you are managing a medium sized club or bigger, I cannot personally see why you would need to load all nations and clog your system with tens of thousands of players that you will never have the slightest interest in.

I have an above average system, but will only load about 12-14 European leagues, Brazil and Argentina and the large database giving about 50,000 players and have always felt that this is a good compromise between numbers of available players and game speed.

The larger your initial set up, the larger your save game is and it will increase in size as your get into your save.  This does give the chance of game speed slowdown and problems if the game crashes

Many users load every player that they can, so it is up to you, but I would certainly recommend loading only what is needed rather than what would be possible.

I am going to be playing with the MLS...and being a U.S. citizen, I am afraid I am not even really sure which leagues are relevant for me to be using.  Could you make a suggestion as to which leagues you think are pertinent to my save?  

Ok, I am going to start with the MLS (U.S.A.) and the issue I have thought of is this:

1. The MLS gets players from all over the world (8 International slots)

2.  Many of the Nations surrounding the U.S. do NOT speak English as a language.  

I am wondering what the save would be like if I made the only playable league the MLS (my league) and made all the rest "view only".  With a large player database, it gives me in excess of 15,000 players.  

My biggest problem is, deciding which nations to choose, that would make sense for my specific league.  The MLS is an odd duck in the world of football in terms of the way it operates and acquires players.

Archived