Game keeps crashing when continuing

Just started playing the game again after several months, downloaded the newest version via steam 1.3 and the game randomly crashes when I hit continue, sometimes I get lucky and it advances, others it crashes. Anyone know what the issue could be? Thanks in advance for the help!

Scott Shafer

• 3 weeks later...

not sure how to upload my game, but the crash happens randomly when moving to the next day, after the crash I can open it back up and it might continue past the place it crashed then a couple days later crash again, its when it is continuing day to day. Let me know if there is anything I can do to make it easier for you to help me cause its a real bummer, I had to go back to 07 because it I cant get it to work. Thanks for the help!

• 2 weeks later...

Not sure what help can be offered/not sure why you chose not to upload a save...I think that's your starting point; your experience is not the norm...looking at "Steam stats" there were 299 people playing an hour ago, and average of 307 playing the last 30 days, and a peak of 552 (and in the current TBL Challenge no one has noted your issue, and the WHL/EHL online leagues continue on OK too)

I didnt post a save file because I said it happens on every saved game I have do you want me to upload them all? Im not a tech by any means but its pretty clear it is not a save game issue since it happens with multiple databases and multiple game versions. Seems to me since the screenshot says "windows" that it would be some kind of windows compatibility issue. Looking at steam I made sure that I have the latest direct x and the latest windows update? Any other ideas of places I should look for possible issues? Dont want to come off like a jerk I do appreciate the help but its hard to believe that I am the only one that is having this issue yet for a month now every time I try to play the game it crashes. Its pretty frustrating as it used to work at one point. Oh well guess im back to 07.

I too am not trying to come off like a jerk...I was thinking more along the lines that perhaps your game is missing a file (and thus it's affecting all saves), and at least with a save that could be ruled out; also, since Riz asked for a save, it made sense to me to provide at least one

Are you pressing Continue more than once? Because repeatedly pressing Continue will cause the game to crash...

• 1 month later...

I have the exact same issue here. Sometimes the game will process after pressing continue, other times it will just crash. I'm on Win10, running EHM thru Steam with the latest patch, the 9.2 TBL rosters (subscribed via Steam) & a logo pack subscribed through Steam as well.

Im at work right now so will update with my save file when I get home.

would appreciate any help!

UPDATE - save game has been uploaded to the ftp per instructions linked above. File name is EHM_cmspitfire_randomcrashes.sav It has been uploaded to the /fm/game-pkm remote site (because I pressed the wrong button when I drag/dropped....). Hopefully Riz can find it and investigate!

Furthermore - I've just validated my game files...it found 535 files that failed the validation! I'm not sure if that has solved the problem but is a decent indicator that something may have been wrong. Re-testing game now.

UPDATE - Nope, that didn't work. Still crashing upon processing to the next day (at random).

• 2 weeks later...

I've uploaded 2 files via Filezilla, I put my files under game-crash and game-save. My saved file is called puljujacantsignm78864321. I too also have this problem when I can't seem to sim through April 30, the game just starts not responding on my end. 

• SI Staff
On 03/04/2017 at 07:53, cm_spitfire said:

UPDATE - save game has been uploaded to the ftp per instructions linked above. File name is EHM_cmspitfire_randomcrashes.sav It has been uploaded to the /fm/game-pkm remote site (because I pressed the wrong button when I drag/dropped....). Hopefully Riz can find it and investigate!

I've run that saved game here in the live Steam version (1.4.1) 6 times now through to the next day and have encountered no crashes so far. Will try and investigate further.

• SI Staff
On 15/04/2017 at 03:57, Brandon3000 said:

I've uploaded 2 files via Filezilla, I put my files under game-crash and game-save. My saved file is called puljujacantsignm78864321. I too also have this problem when I can't seem to sim through April 30, the game just starts not responding on my end. 

I've run this saved game through to the next day a number of times as well. It is somewhat slow to process to the next day as the save is on a date when a lot of contracts expire in the European leagues but it does advance to the next day without issues here on the latest Steam build.

Do you get a Windows message saying "EHM has stopped responding" or something like that when trying to click on the game screen or does it give you a proper crash ?

If it is the first, it may be due to the slow processing on that day and you should be able to just give it a bit more time to process on to the next day.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey Riz, thanks for the response on this.

Whilst I can't 100% confirm, I believe the issue is related to playing in windowed-mode (as I do) and running other applications whilst playing. For example, if I load the game via Steam and don't click on anything other than the game itself, it runs flawlessly. As soon as I either alt-tab out or just click on another screen in the background, the next time I press continue in-game, it'll crash. I doubt this is running as intended but I'm comfortable in avoiding the crash now - I just make sure I save before clicking out and doing something else!

Archived