Players don't want to join me at Sunderland

I'm in my first season with Sunderland and it's going pretty well. I'm sitting 8th and I'm in the semi finals of the EFL cup. Considering we were tipped for relegation it's a decent platform to build on. HOWEVER I'm in the January transfer window and I'm really struggling to improve my team. I'm making bids, they're being accepted but I just can't seem to sign players, even though it says they are extremely interested in joining. I just don't have the funds to offer the agent fees and the signing on fees, my wage budget is pretty low also and I've already offloaded some one my high earning dead weight. Any advice?

Sunderland don't have the finances in place get all that involved in siging new player so you'll have to make do with what you have, if you continue your success for the remainder of the season or even drop off slightly you might start seeing more money become avaialble next season. In the very short term ou could try asking the chairman to make more funds available or to sign a potentially key player but I doubt you'll have much luck.

6 hours ago, Fer Fuchs Ake said:

Well the signing on fee is also deducted from your transfer budget (I think) so that could be the reason, particularly if you are offering high singing on fees. What's your transfer budget?

My transfer budget is £14m

If it were me I'd follow Barside's advice. £14m is absolute peanuts as a transfer budget in Premier League and hardly likely to improve what you already have in what is a pretty brutal league. I'd save the money because it sounds you're doing really well anyway (8th in league in January) and are safe job-wise if that continues or even drops off slightly. That would be the key for me, you're doing fine now so have a bit of time. If you were 16th and below then maybe you do need to buy, but you're not.

Build up your scout network, consolidate this season, start looking for your targets now to buy in the summer. Scouting like mad, looking for players that will be out of contract or hot prospects or players out of favour at their current clubs who'd jump at chance to play in English Premier league, they are out there.

And when buying utilise as small upfront payments (use 48 month instalments, add on's of future transfer fee's etc) as you can get away with. You risk mortgaging your future away, but that's your call and if you're smart about getting the right player(s) in, you should be fine.

Sometimes the hardest thing to do with a transfer budget is to not spend it, but instead save it/build it up until you can strike. Don't worry too much if certain fish escape your net, there's always plenty more fish in the sea at a later date once that scouting network is better established.

In the English Premier League you are only going to get richer and richer with the insane TV money and prize money, so if you can survive in the job don't panic buy for sake of it.

1 hour ago, Jibby123 said:

If it were me I'd follow Barside's advice. £14m is absolute peanuts as a transfer budget in Premier League and hardly likely to improve what you already have in what is a pretty brutal league. I'd save the money because it sounds you're doing really well anyway (8th in league in January) and are safe job-wise if that continues or even drops off slightly. That would be the key for me, you're doing fine now so have a bit of time. If you were 16th and below then maybe you do need to buy, but you're not.

Build up your scout network, consolidate this season, start looking for your targets now to buy in the summer. Scouting like mad, looking for players that will be out of contract or hot prospects or players out of favour at their current clubs who'd jump at chance to play in English Premier league, they are out there.

And when buying utilise as small upfront payments (use 48 month instalments, add on's of future transfer fee's etc) as you can get away with. You risk mortgaging your future away, but that's your call and if you're smart about getting the right player(s) in, you should be fine.

Sometimes the hardest thing to do with a transfer budget is to not spend it, but instead save it/build it up until you can strike. Don't worry too much if certain fish escape your net, there's always plenty more fish in the sea at a later date once that scouting network is better established.

In the English Premier League you are only going to get richer and richer with the insane TV money and prize money, so if you can survive in the job don't panic buy for sake of it.

Yeah thanks mate, and cheers Barside too. I'd say we are pretty safe from relegation and that's all the board wants, they're pretty singey and won't give me any more funds, will just have to make do with what I have at the minute, doesn't help when half of my squad are injured or at the ACON

17 hours ago, Joe_harrison said:

My transfer budget is £14m

Its not a great amount, especially given that Sunderland don't have a particularly high reputation. You're best off just saving it til the next window. However, if your squad depth is an issue, you should look for loan deals.

Archived