FM17: Pochettino's 3-4-2-1

I would argue it's Very Fluid, or at least Fluid. If you go Structured you decrease the mentality of the players on Defend duty, and the Spurs lineup is all pretty cohesive in their mentality. Structured would decrease the risk-taking of the CB's for example, which we know is not true.

Your only real difference from my lineup is that you set Dembele as a RPM(s) instead of a CM(s). I don't think Dembele warrants a playmaker tag. He doesn't see the ball more than the average midfielder. Even Wanyama had a couple more passes than him last night for instance, probably would have been about the same for a full '90. Dembele does dribble more which is why it makes sense to give him that PI on the CM(s) duty. I'm sure he could work as an RPM(s) in the game, but he's not a ball magnet in real life (although his feet are ball magnets but that's a different story). Eriksen is the only one on the team who warrants a playmaker tag, as he sees the ball more than anyone else in the final third, and he makes the risky passes.

1 hour ago, Argonaut said:

I would argue it's Very Fluid, or at least Fluid. If you go Structured you decrease the mentality of the players on Defend duty, and the Spurs lineup is all pretty cohesive in their mentality. Structured would decrease the risk-taking of the CB's for example, which we know is not true.

Your only real difference from my lineup is that you set Dembele as a RPM(s) instead of a CM(s). I don't think Dembele warrants a playmaker tag. He doesn't see the ball more than the average midfielder. Even Wanyama had a couple more passes than him last night for instance, probably would have been about the same for a full '90. Dembele does dribble more which is why it makes sense to give him that PI on the CM(s) duty. I'm sure he could work as an RPM(s) in the game, but he's not a ball magnet in real life (although his feet are ball magnets but that's a different story). Eriksen is the only one on the team who warrants a playmaker tag, as he sees the ball more than anyone else in the final third, and he makes the risky passes.

I was literally just matching the in-game description to what happens in reality. I think your approach is probably more sound.

• 2 weeks later...

I started a spurs career 2 nights ago in an online league with 2 of my mates. Like most of you I've been using the 3 at the back formation but I've also been using the 4-2-3-1. The team i use when p;aying 3 at the back is:

GK - LLORIS (GK)

RCB - ALDERWEIRELD (BPD)defend

CB - DIER (CB)cover

LCB - VERTONGHEN (BPD)defend

RWB - WALKER (WB)attack

LWB - ROSE (WB)attack

RCM - WANYAMA (BWM)defend

LCM - DEMBELE (DLP)support

AMR - ERIKSEN - APsupport

ARL - ALLI (SS)

ST - KANE (AF)

I've only played 4 premier league games so far but have only lost one and that was vs Liverpool in the opening game of the season losing 3-2. For me this formation is probaly one of the best ive used especially with how unique it is an most teams in the league not being able to match it. Just to point out, another game I have played was against one of my mates in the online league (he is Arsenal) and I beat him 2-0 at home with this team and formation but withouit dembele i had sissoko for that game

• 4 months later...

Archived