AI managers have no "vision"

Anyone else find that AI managers are all idiots? They have absolutely no vision or forethought for any club they manage, they just sign players almost arbitrarily, blow the transfer budgets, destroy the club, and once it gets so bad they get the sack and some other idiot comes along to do the same.

I'm in the year 2026 and at my 4th club; Bilbao, Schalke, Sevilla, Internazionale. Every time I take over a club, the squad is a mess and completely unbalanced, the wage bill is out of control, there are barely enough players to meet the registration requirements (Bilbao is the exception) and the club would've been in serious danger had I not rescued it. Within a few months I have the wage bill slashed, squad balanced, home grown players promoted and/or bought and the future for the club looks pretty good.

When I took over Bilbao, the squad was terrible and they were in 15th place in La Liga. I got them to 6th place (Europa League) and had a nicely balanced squad with a couple of key signings. I left because I couldn't get used to the non-Basque rule and didn't know who to sign, but I left the club in good condition. As soon as I left the new manager went about destroying the club and failing miserably. Back to mid-table mediocrity.

When I left Schalke in 2022 I had just won the Bundesliga (2nd in a row) and Champions League. The squad was strong, well balanced, vastly home grown with some great regens, and the club looked good. I left because the chairman elections got in the way of the transfer window and I wasn't allocated enough budget to strengthen the one position I thought I needed to (CB's), but the new manager was given a large budget before summer ended and I realised I should've stayed, of course I didn't have the luxury of foresight.
The new manager (Zidane) set about selling all the wonderkids (3 were home grown at club) in the squad and replaced them with average foreign crap; they finished 3rd twice and then 5th, and this season are struggling to qualify for Europe. Reputation dropped from World Class to Continental. Now they have an average squad who need rescuing again.

Sevilla was pretty much the same as Bilbao; they were in 13th place in December, had 2 full backs (both on loan at the club) and were in trouble. Come May I had got them to 2nd in La Liga with a couple of clever signings, qualifying for the Champions League group stages, made the club rich, slashed the wage bill and lifted the malaise hanging over the place. Granted, my league performance was helped along the way by a hilariously bad season from an ageing Barcelona team and a lot of other average teams in La Liga. Still, I stand by my performance, rescued the club and resigned as planned - I had no intention of staying beyond summer.
The next manager didn't fare as well; he blew the transfer budget on crap, got knocked out of the Champions League at the first hurdle, and was sacked before the club finished mid-table. Sigh...

December 2025 came along and Internazionale came calling. Another squad in dire condition, but it was easy to see how to fix it; within SIX WEEKS I had cleared out huge wages, made some basic key signings to address the unbalanced squad (the previous manager registered 5 GK's for Europe for God's sake), and got the club into good condition. We went from 10th to 3rd so far (February), earned a lot of money for the club, and the future is looking rosy. I just signed a couple of home grown full backs as Inter only had 1 of each LB and RB; freed up a lot of squad space and totally balanced things. AI managers never do this sort of thing :/  

Every club I take over will be left in a better position when I leave. Always rich, full of talent, well balanced home grown squad, a bright future. You could argue that it's "too easy" for me to do this, which is unrealistic, but that would only prove my point - the AI managers have the same tools as me but they're all utterly hopeless.

Beyond my own career - I'm currently keeping a close eye on Liverpool; they are probably going to get relegated this year due to serious financial and squad mismanagement. They qualified for the Champions league 2 seasons ago (finished 2nd) but had 3 home grown players in the squad so had to name seriously raw kids who never stood a chance. That Champions League campaign was a total disaster and the club subsequently nose-dived - 5th the next year and now 18th in February. They've been selling off star players since qualifying for the Champions League but replacing them with players nowhere near good enough and now can't afford to strengthen in any way. They just KEEP signing foreign players who add nothing to the squad. It's hard to watch but also kinda funny. I do actually want to see them relegated to see how the game handles such a disaster...

Really is frustrating how bad transfer AI continues to be in this game. I understand that good AI is extremely difficult to program but you'd think it'd be given a bit more of a priority by SI given how **** easy it makes long term saves.

Yes this how it is. They can sell the last left back, not that they need the money but because there is a bid from a more reputational club. I can most often ward them of and give the player a balanced pay, so it's not exactly that hard even if they moan sometimes. 

If you edit a league, all teams, give them a good setup of staff and a balanced squad of players, money to manage this you can always see them deteriorate this - more or less. This is sad - you have to baby sit them.

Archived