Old-style European Cups FM2017

This file reinstates the old-fashioned, simple model of European cups:

1) European Champions Cup: 54 teams, champions only, no seedings, cup rules
2) European UEFA Cup: 108 teams, 2nd and 3rd placed from all European countries (except Liechtenstein), no seedings, cup rules
3) European Cup Winners Cup: 55 teams, cup winners or finalists, no seedings, cup rules

Played from August to October and from April (UEFA Cup from March) to June.

Prizes set (I hope) acceptably, Champions Cup has the highest, UEFA Cup the lowest.
No additional special squad rules set.

Tested on holiday till 2022, no crashes.
Recommended to start the game in June 2016.

Known issues:
- as it's done with basic rules, sometimes the finals are played on very small stadiums of Andorra or Faroe Islands.
- when tried to set it with advanced rules, the editor insists there's some mistake with squad selection rules, I can't spot it now.

Feel free to use, test, and report potential mistakes (and even correct them Yourselves, if .You can)

Old-time fashioned European Cups reinstated v. 1.0_0DC69A7A-34F3-49B8-AD93-61617CE244BF.fmf

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

:(

On 04/01/2017 at 12:39, avto said:

Seems few people have downloaded it via steam and at the Russian forum as well.

By the way, the new version is done, with the small-stadium finals avoided.

Old-time fashioned European Cups reinstated v. 2.0_6DDAE8A1-0B23-46E4-842B-169EE0D8390F.fmf

I've tested this file using england, northern ireland, and Holland. I have ran it for 2 full seasons, unfortunately, just as with fm16, northern ireland doesn't work. Yet again the league fails to populate league fixtures after the first season. Holland's second place team didn't get into the UEFA Cup yet 3rd and 4th did. I found problems with the Dutch league on a FM16 old style Euro file I used too. This is why I tested these 2 leagues as well as England.  It's a real shame as I would have enjoyed it, but living in N Ireland, and playing as a N Irish team to begin with makes this file unplayable for me.

The N Ireland issue has something to do with the playoffs, either relegation or European ones (I can't remember which). The playoffs never get finished therefore the league fixtures for the new season don't populate. I could only replicate this using this old style European file (on both fm16 and 17). 

Looking at the NI league it's a bit confusing. The league splits after 33 matches and then the top 6 play each other and bottom 6 play each other for last 5 matches. The rules state that the top 2 qualify for Europe, and then 3rd to 7th play in a European qualifying playoff, depending on the cup winners. (If the cup winners finished outside the top 7 then there is a quarter final tie, otherwise it's a semi final and final competition  between the 4 that haven't qualified for Europe!)

In this example 4th played 5th on 16th may. 6th place have no one to play on the fixtures. So that is where this league falls down. The 2nd leg is never played because the 1st leg of the 6th place team is never scheduled. I don't know what date the final was due to be played. It's around the 23rd may on a save not using the euro file. The 3rd placed team played no european football the next season. 

I don't know why heerenveen didn't qualify for the UEFA cup. They finished 3rd and won their European playoffs (3rd to 6th playoff). 

This file doesn't like European playoffs in leagues!

• 3 weeks later...

No. Absolutely no chance to try due to hard time in work and research deadline as well. I suspect (although with no proof), that if the symptoms are as You described, then having a working file might request re-creating all the European competitions from scratch :/

• 1 month later...

Archived