Full backs occupying W position in offensive phase

would love to ask a question from tactic gurus around. I am pretty good with ral life tactics, however I struggle with the game. It is either because the game can't replicate real life instructions or I am unable to do it. Hence the thread.

So, if it isn't game to blame, how do I set up my full backs to keep the width? I don't need them to cross, run down the line or anything special, I just want them to advance far up the pitch and hug the touchline so they stretch the opposition defensive line. My inside forwards are meant to play narrower while CM's are supposed to run from deep through the gaps created.

Whatever I do, I can't find a way for full backs to position themselves high enogh (in line with opposition D-Line) to make my idea work. They venture forward only once the ball is already in attacking third which is way too late.

Something like this in possession 

FB--------------------ST---------------------FB

--------IF---------------------------IF-----------

------------CM-------------CM---------------

---------------------DM-----------------------

------CB-------------------------CB----------

any advice?

What duties and team shape did you try ?

I think for what you want you would need a team shape that is on the fluid side.  The more structured side makes the deeper players play a bit safer, even if given an attack duty they will play with about the same risk as a IF-S.  As they're the FB its a lot riskier to get forward compared to the IF hence would wait till the attacking phase to leave his position.  On the more Fluid side of team shape its possible the FB would be given permission to take more risks and because the distribution of mentality/risk is narrower he should get closer / in advance of the support duties earlier and more often.

The problem you'll have is does the amount of creative freedom match what you want?  You might need to add Be More Disciplined and/or Stick To Positions to keep the defined structure you want.

I would try with FB-A and Fluid to begin with.  Depending on the rest of your tactic setup you might need to add "Work Ball Into Box" to counter the crossing PI that FB-A have.

18 minutes ago, summatsupeer said:

What duties and team shape did you try ?

I think for what you want you would need a team shape that is on the fluid side.  The more structured side makes the deeper players play a bit safer, even if given an attack duty they will play with about the same risk as a IF-S.  As they're the FB its a lot riskier to get forward compared to the IF hence would wait till the attacking phase to leave his position.  On the more Fluid side of team shape its possible the FB would be given permission to take more risks and because the distribution of mentality/risk is narrower he should get closer / in advance of the support duties earlier and more often.

The problem you'll have is does the amount of creative freedom match what you want?  You might need to add Be More Disciplined and/or Stick To Positions to keep the defined structure you want.

I would try with FB-A and Fluid to begin with.  Depending on the rest of your tactic setup you might need to add "Work Ball Into Box" to counter the crossing PI that FB-A have.

good points. I went with default mentality and creative freedom while I indeed tried the "be more disciplined" instruction. will try going more fluid and see how that effects the positioning during the build up in defensive and attacking third.

here is exact thing i want to see, just not sure if I am unable to reprduce it in the game or the game itself is unable... changeing the mentality didn't help...

1 Liverpool shift to left.jpg

look at positioning of Milner and Clyne... Their purpose on the pitch is not to dribble or cross but just to stretch the defence. Simpson is forced to mark Milner and if Morgan doesn't recognize this there will be a huge gap between those two which is explitable by Firmino coming from deep. 

In FM you'd expect wingers to ocupy Milner's and Clyne's position on the pitch. however, those two players have completely different tasks to wingers. they just occupy winger position on the pitch  they don't act as wingers.

more i am thinking about it, more I feel the game needs to evolve it's tactical aspect to have different set of instructions for defensive and offensive phase of the game. In fact, it is how it should be in the first place.

Archived