Accomplished vs Natural positions

Hi guys, realised this has been brought up before but it seems mainly when training a player in a new position.

I'm playing as Birmingham City - I have a player, Jonathan Grounds who is a natural left back (my AM rates him 3 stars) but an accomplished centre back (1 star), however his attributes are much more suited to playing centre back than an attacking full back in my system.

My question is, if I train him as a centre back, and play him exclusively as a centre back, is there the chance (depending on factors such as mentality, hidden attributes etc) that his CA (and presumably my coaches rating of him) will increase for this position?

Thanks

The difference between accomplished and natural is a 10% decrease of the "decisions" attribute, nothing else IIRC. So if he has like 14 for decisions, he will have about 13 playing as a centre back. It will hardly make any difference and easily be outweighed if he is more suited to playing centre back.

If you train him he will become natural over time, which will increase the coach's rating quite a lot in my experience. I'm not sure what you mean by "his CA will increase for this position"? If you mean that the attributes that your coach considers vital for playing centre back will rise through positional training, then it's a yes normally. This will increase the coach's rating, too. But he might still consider him a better full back (because there are pre-set templates that coaches use to consider positional rating that are probably different from your perception of a centre back's attributes). Don't worry however, if he performs well.

Thanks both of you for your comments.

How would it work on a completely different scale - I have another player Ryan Shotton who is ineffectual (i.e doesn't even have a yellow circle) for DCM, but his attributes for that position are better than any other player in my squad.

Should I still chuck him in and his attributes should shine through, or does the fact that he doesn't know the position at all mean he will be useless

He'll be fine.

iirc, positional familiarity pretty much only affects the Decisions attribute. So long as the rest of his attributes measure up to the type of player you want, then play him and stick him on an individual training plan for the DMC position.

It doesn't matter, if you play him in DCM position and train him he will achieve competent within few months. After that whether he will achieve accomplished or natural depends on his positional ability. but otherwise he will perform well.

I had 1 left winger , Trained him right inside forward , he never achieved beyond competent and my coaches said 1 star as AMR-inside forward and 4 star as winger left but he became top scorer in one season and best player second season with playing at AMR . so it doesn't matter much just play where he fits in your tactic.

Archived