It's All Fun With Rum

sc91

After finally getting back in FM I've finally come up with something that peaks my interest. My usual inspirations for games comes from the places I've visited or have an interest in visiting, as well as trying to create a fun lasting challenge for myself. My last attempt was a youth-only challenge in Cyprus, which I accidently over-wrote and never had the heart to restart or admit to, this however, shall be different.... slightly. Here's the scenario....

It's All Fun With Rum

A Youth Challenge

Caribbean_Football_Union_%282014%29.png

After years of underachievement the CFU have decided that dramatic action needs to take place, an improvement for all nations is required. In a genius idea the club Caribbean Islanders Soccer Club (couldn't think of a better name) has been formed, and heavy talks with the English FA as well as several brown envelopes passed to the right individuals the club was accepted into the Vanarama National South to compete within the English League system. The club however is restricted, only youth prospects from a Caribbean nation is eligible for the side. As such, feeders have been used from each CFU nation (list found here) where the best prospects are encouraged to be sent to the club in order to facilitate the change. The club itself will be based with Barbados.

The Club

Let's meet the club..

1z6r5mq.jpg

Arguably the worst in the league. But hey ho! Notes on the club are..

- Plays in the national stadium of Barbados, attendances have not been altered, capacity is 15,000

- Youth recruitment has been placed at 20 to help all the best Caribbean talent go to the club, fits with the idea of the save

- Youth facilities have been altered to reflect the best in the region

- Training facilities the same.

The Rules

As with any youth only challenge there are the rules, these for this are;

- No signing of players under any circumstance

- Only eligible to play players whom are at the club on arrival or come through the youth system

- Staff can be signed such as coaches, scouts

- Have fun

Let's go!

Season  |         Club          |    Nation        |             League            |   Position  | Other  
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
2015/16 | Caribbean Islanders   |   Caribbean      |      Vanarama National South  |     12th    | Survived!
2016/17 | Caribbean Islanders   |   Caribbean      |      Vanarama National South  |     16th    | Survived!
2017/18 | Caribbean Islanders   |   Caribbean      |      Vanarama National South  |     4th     | Lost Play-off Semi Final vs Welling
2018/19 | Caribbean Islanders   |   Caribbean      |      Vanarama National South  |     6th     | Missed out on Play-offs
2019/20 | Caribbean Islanders   |   Caribbean      |      Vanarama National South  |     n/a     | On Going!

August/September/October 2015

I'll ignore the friendlies, we did the rounds on the local sides in Barbados to get the team to gel together. And it worked...

s4b1px.jpg

We hit the ground running in our bid to survive the first season in the VNS. Some fantastic performances however they hit a brick wall, a four game losing streak showed how we have a long way to go this season, highlighting further the youth of the squad that we have at our disposal, it must be remembered that these are young lads playing a level that they've not experienced before, that and it must be an utter trek with the constant flights. Nevertheless I'm extremely pleased, and this is reflected by our position in the table;

2samtmp.jpg

We are in with an outside chance of the play-offs as it stands, and I would certainly take that! I do believe it would be too early to challenge however and perhaps the four game losing streak could hint that this club is currently performing above itself, that said, I shall not complain, onwards and upwards.

Stars

Amal Marquez - Already capped by Barbados, the young right back has played an integral part of the success so far, and contributed to our lofty position. Frustratingly however, he refuses to sign a new contract and I fear he might be lost to other clubs before he is of any use to us. What a haircut as well.

Louie Harewood (YP0f) - One of the many youth I tagged, Louie has been the diamond so far out of the bunch and performed admirably in his appearances for the club.

November/December/January 15-16

Onwards to the festive period, could it bring us some joy on our mission towards survival....

4lsy80.jpg

I'll be blunt.. nope. My feelings that the squad will be inconsistent because of their age came true. When we win, we win comfortably (3-0 and 4-0 over Basingtoke and Maidstone respectively) but when we lose, my god, we don't half stink the gaff up with our performances, utterly poor.

2qdn8jl.jpg

We've plummeted down the table but still remain a good 8 points clear of the dropzone, we are able to beat those below us and I remain confident of staying up.

Stars

Amal Marquez - Brilliant yet again, solid as ever at the back, however, he refuses to sign a new contract and now clubs from above are circling like vultures. :mad:

Kemar Howell - Another generated player but he has been solid since coming into the side, so much I attempted to sign him up for another year, and he refused. :mad:

February/March 16

Hurtling towards to the end of the season and things are beginning to actually hot up..

24m741j.jpg

We've hit a purple patch of form, I switched up the tactic a bit to bring in a more attacking midfield and it seems to have paid off with more consistent performances and more points on the board which has led to..

2cnxvtj.jpg

I can sniff the playoffs! Ok, we are 6 points off but we are well and truly safe for the season and now we can only focus on what is going on above us. Fantastic turn of form.

Stars

Amal Maloney - And a lot of this is down to this man, as close to a rock as we can get between the stick, he has certainly been solid for us in that department

Jabarry Holder (YP0a) - The major change in the team, brought him and the upturn in form began, solid ever since and very promising prospect!

2015/16 Season Review

So the first season draws to a close, it's been fun trying to get this bunch of misfits to work together, did it profit us?

2qvfd40.jpg

Well, we finished in the comfort of mid-table, and truth be told? I am rather happy with that, more chance for my youth to develop into winner, anywhere near promotion could inflate expectation and this last thing a challenge like this needs is undue pressure.

Squad

Transfers

Player of the season

Arantes Stewart - Lead the line with ease and was the top scorer. Also signed a new contract, which can't be said for two certain ********.

Youth Products

Here's how the products who featured for the first team got on;

Jabarry Holder (YP0a) - Turned out to be the 'saviour' of the season, very promising.

Luther Boyce (YP0c) - Decent enough, will have a lot of game time next year.

Rashad Mottley (YP0d) - Played well when called upon.

Elsid Burgess (YP0e) - First choice without a doubt, was brilliant.

Louie Harewood (YP0f) - Solid in midfield.

Stephen Joseph (YP1a) - Looks like a bright future for the young Grenadian.

Rashad Highland (YP1b) - Will play a major part next season, played well in the games he had.

Thoughts

A solid season to be fair, scope to improve in the future. Annoyingly Amal Marquez was poached by AFC Wimbledon just as the season ended so no negotiation have taken place and he moves onto pastures new. Similarly Kemar Howell refused a contract so he's on the way out, nevertheless I'm hoping for the same again next year, survival is the key before the push.

Barbados? That's got to be a strain on the travel budgets...

Interesting stuff, what are your facilities like?

Will certainly be, only chosen as its where my own holiday begins, money wise.... Well...

Facilities are to much the best in the region (was Bayamon in Puerto Rico if memory serves). Out of the country and thus my laptop but will get back to you with a picture.

Well, you're certainly a southern team! :D

Haha I originally placed in North but realised that it made zero sense. Got to have some consistency in a fantasy DB.

Season 16/17 Preview

After a comfortable finish to the previous season we lost two key players in the form of Amal Marquez (to AFC Wimbledon) and Kemar Howell (refused contract), two players of whom were key to the success of the club. Extremely gutted to miss out on these two but, we will soldier on, especially as the younger talents will now have the experience to hopefully stay in the division. Though I don't think it'll be an easy ride.

api7if.jpg

Neither do the media, 2nd favourite for the drop, moving up from a position of 22nd up to the lofty heights of 21st. All things considered I feel this is a fair assumption, the young lads are inconsistent, we showed last season that we can easily blow more cold then hot but still, troop on and hope for another successful year.

August/September/October 16

Off we went, played our annual round of friendlies with a few affiliates and clubs local to Barbados to get the team gelling and off we went...

9sdnj8.jpg

To an absolutely horrid start, we weren't conceding much but we damn well seemed allergic to going near the goal, only managing a fantastic 2 (!) in the first six games. Fortunately we picked up form with a emphatic win over whipping boys Aldershot and proceeded to kick on from there as our usual and highly inconsistent selves. We seem to be easily able to beat the teams below us, which is great for survival, but every time we challenge someone in the top half we seem to get a nose bleed and fall flat on our face, can only assume this is a youth problem and hopefully something over time that can be fixed. A switch exit at the hands of Gosport from the FA Cup was no fun either.

wjtehg.jpg

Look at that gap that is starting to form though, 6 points between us and St.Albans and it just gets more and more larger as you go up the league, pretty insane all things considered. We are the top dogs

Stars

Jabarry Holder (YP0a) - This kid might be something special, playing him has changed the side since he come in, consistency isn't there yet but convinced he might go far.

Arantes Stewart - Was woeful at the start of the season but has since come back to earn his stripes.

November/December/January 16/17

British winter, Caribbean winter, pretty sure the players would love if this were ever to translate to real life, not the expenses that being said..... However..

9anxvr.jpg

A much improved month! We have hit our stride, relatively speaking. Apart from a thumping by Ebbsfleet it has been a satisfactory performance from the team. We were unlucky to fall out of the FA Trophy in a replay against Welling after a successful performance against Hemel Hemperstead. Overall thoroughly pleased with this turn of events, it looks positive for the rest of the season.

30blqgl.jpg

It however, has not made a blind bit of difference to the table, I mean yes, we are much higher up then before but will trail St.Albans above us by 5 points. An unusual season where it looks like we might well finish as one of the best of the lower bunch.

Stars

Kenville Maloney - Nothing special in his stats but he seems to have found some scoring boots. Fantastic for us

Jabarry Holder (YP0a) - Look at those arrows! Played in every game this season and the improvement is fantastic. I worry that our semi-professional status may mean we lose him before he hits his true potential.

Youth Intake 2016/17

The favourite time of the year, the intake. What surprises await?

mc9bpv.jpg

Anton Mitchell

Daryl Holligan

Riviere King

Julian Darlington

Quite a nice intake to be frank. Anton Mitchell looks like he could be special and few have been tagged. Hopeful all around. Liking the variety of nations coming through as well, makes it all the more interesting.

February/March/April 2017

Coming to the end of another season, did we manage to carve out survival?

Well, we were more then clear so chances are, yes, however, my main aim was to make sure we got at least a better points total then previous year, after all, progress is the key to moving forward and keeping these young guns contracted to our club. Otherwise, offers will come from elsewhere.

2hecwuc.jpg

But that doesn't look pretty at all. We seem to proverbially **** ourselves at the end of the season, much to my annoyance. It seems we were just content to try and chuck away any form of security that we perhaps had.

Some of the results were utterly disappointing and meant we fell short of my target.

Frustrating end to the season!

:mad:

Season 16/17 Review

The season drew to a close and luckily in the end we had done enough during the year to guarantee our survival.

23tqnnk.jpg

A meagre 16th place though with a (slightly) less points total, this was no progress, hoping for better in the future.

FA Cup - 2nd qualifying round (3-1 Loss to Gosport)

FA Trophy - 1st round (loss in replay to Welling).

Overall not bad for the first year entering the two contest available to me, one huge positive was this though.

1h74nn.jpg

Jabarry is the man. :cool:

Squad

Youth Products

Jabarry Holder (YP0a) - The main man, improved ten fold over the season and has been nothing short of fantastic.

Luther Boyce (YP0c) - Did fine well called upon.

Elsid Burgess (YP0d) - Everpresent throughout the season and developed well in the game time he has, becoming a competent defender.

Louie Harewood (YP0e) - Consistent season from the young man

Kemar Rouse (YP0g) - Played his part in the side, performed when needed.

Zari Mottley (YP0h) - Surprise of the season, did really well.

Luther Nurse (YP0j) - Was sent on loan to Cuba (yes, I know) for most the season and come into it in the end, will be part of the first team next season

Raheim Samuel (YP0k) - Took over the reins at the end of the year and although conceded a fair, played reasonable.

Stephen Joseph (YP1a) - Good progress for the young Grenadian, shall be featured next year more so.

Rashad Highland (YP1b) - First choice to partner in the midfield, played very well.

Levi Michael (YP1c) - Young St.Lucian showed signs of his talent.

Isaac Rodriguez (YP1g) - A surprise call up to the squad but improved with limited game time.

Gerard Basquait (YP1h) - Didn't expect him to get much time but provided an option

Player of the Season

Kenville Maloney - Surprised me and his stats to be one of the most important players for us.

Thoughts

Well, overall, I should be happy with survival but I'd hoped we could push on and get a best points total, especially considering the chances we had to do so, but alas, it was not to be. That said, it looks promising for the future. Hopefully another decent season next year.

Season 17/18 Preview

We survived! So onwards to another year duking it out in the Vanarama Conference South.

z709f.jpg

As can be seen, we are no longer one of the favourites for the drop. I am hoping to finish well above the relegation zone this year however, I've spent a while researching a few tactical tweaks and I'm hoping that given the quality of players we have, that I am able to build a tactic that brings out the best of all our players.

My own expectations are I think that this side could easily sit mid-table now, without any fear of 'surviving'.

August/September/October 17

As per usual, I will not show friendlies as again it was a fun filled tour round the islands, to give our nearest and dearest a good ole beating to remind them who's boss.

It was largely however a more positive pre-season then usual as tactical adjustments seem to reap a great reward, more efficiency in scoring, more solid in defence, more resolute in midfield.

Did it pay off?

14a5vd.jpg

Ohhhh yes! Just three defeats over this period where we are usually already showing deep inconsistencies, this has been a fantastic start. Given as well that we are able to move into the first round proper of the FA Cup after 3 fantastic victories, albeit against lower opposition.

30ma0qu.jpg

Oh my, nose bleeds all around, we are hitting some dizzy heights currently with this lofty position in the league, and long may it continue! Props to Cheltenham for doing so bad.

Stars

Rashad Highland (YP1b) - Been brilliant in his midfield role, going forward when needed and provided and superb contribution.

Jabarry Holder (YP0a) - What more can be said? He is simply brilliant.

Tactics

As mentioned, I had a bit of a tactical switch up. As Seen Here.

This seems to have bought solidarity into the side since the latest patch as well as giving us room to break on the opponent when needed and build upon a somewhat solid defense/goalkeeper.

Good News

2vadutk.jpg

Another intentional amongst our ranks. :cool:

November/December/January 17-18

After a tremendous start to the season could we keep it up? Can we push on to the next level? Wouldn't want this to have been a false dawn as I'm quite eager to get up the leagues as fast as possible as in these challenges, the more you hang about, the more you are likely to lose some fantastic players.

os944i.jpg

The model of consistency, we have been brilliant, racking up enough wins to keep the momentum going. Yes there were a few defeats but these were in cup competitions, where we sadly went out of the FA Cup to League One side Wycombe (though we put up a valiant attempt!). Disappointing was the loss to Gosport but overall it isn't bad in the grand scheme of things. I believe we can push on for a play-off spot now.

20qz3pg.jpg

We hold onto that 4th place spot with a tight grip. Victory over Hayes and Yeading seems all the more important now. Disappointed with the loss to Cheltenham but they're a club in a totally false position. We can kick on from this, the final third of the season awaits, could it be extended into May? I hope so.

Stars

Dwayne Straker - Barely mentioned, Dwayne is the rock at the heart of the defense, an ever-present he has developed fantastically for us and leads as the captain should.

Gerard Basquiat (YP1h) - The Haitian isn't the most prolific but he plays a vital role as the second choice striker, Arantes Stewart was injured and he stepped up to the plate when required.

Onwards we go!

• 2 weeks later...

February/March 2018

Going into the crunch time of the season, can this form be maintained?

30bcmsp.jpg

Most definitely it can be, albeit it was a much more squeaky bum time at times as we failed to hit the net on several occasions, nevertheless, we are looking good and hopefully we can hold onto the coveted and largely unexpected play off place.

6px9n7.jpg

Sutton running away from it, but we have enough distance between ourselves and the outside of the play-off zone that we can afford some breathing space.

Stars

Jabarry Prescod - Unusually it was another Jabarry that having the run of the pitch, playing fantastically along the way.

Zari Mottley (YP0h) - It's been a tale of the two wings in this period, and they've both run the show.

April 2018

Could we do?

Your damn right we could, we held our nerve and we were rewarded.

1zyzy15.jpg

But of whom did we draw?

i2snx1.jpg

Gr-r-r-r-r-r-eat. These guys are an absolute pain to say the least, always struggled with them and it shows and well, to cut a long story short, we certainly did.

14inz34.jpg

:mad:

We had our chances, don't get me wrong, but on the day, they were simply superior to us in every way conceivable. I am thoroughly disappointed because promotion is always welcome in these changes, the quicker I can turn professional the better standard of player I can get. Still, it was good to have made it this far.

j9y902.jpg

The run in for anyone of whom is concerned.

Onwards we go!

Season 17/18 Review

An overall successful season draws to a dramatic end. We achieved more then was expected of us and went on a memorable run of form to gain a much deserved spot in the play-offs where we sadly fell in the semi-finals. It was with merit though that we continue with our heads held high as this was a superb achievement by the squad.

6y19uo.jpg

Thankfully we went out to the team that actually got promoted, not feeling too bad now.

FA Cup - 2nd round (v Wycombe) / A very fantastic run to the first round proper

FA Trophy - 1st round (v Gosport) / Defeat to the old enemy

Squad

Transfers

Great season from the lads. :applause:

Youth Products

Jabarry Holder (YP0a) - An injury hit season from the great man, perhaps the reason for our failing against Welling.

Luther Boyce (YP0c) - Not featuring much, don't have much of a future.

Elsid Burgess (YP0d) - Mr.consistent, rarely misses a game and performs

Zari Mottley (YP0h) - Brilliant when called upon and helped greatly in the end of season run in.

Luther Nurse (YP0j) - Served a purpose when called into action.

Raheim Samuel (YP0k) - Undisputed no1 between the sticks, fantastic throughout the season.

Stephen Joseph (YP1a) - A horrible leg break ended his season early, hopefully he can recover from this.

Rashid Highland (YP1b) - Brilliant season from the young man.

Luther Williams (YP1c) - Didn't feature as much as he wanted but didn't do much when he did.

Horace Boyce (YP1d) - Hadn't played much before this season but got his opportunity and took it with both hands.

Levi Michael (YP1e) - The St.Lucian became a regular feature of the first XI and didn't let me down.

Gerard Basquiat (YP1h) - Performed well when Arantes Stewart lost form, will be second choice next season

Riviere King (YP2c) - Made his debut half way through the season and was solid since.

Daryl Holligan (YP2d) - Made his debut in a few dead rubbers but played well and will feature more

Trevor Weir (YP3a) - Made his debut, will feature.

Shane Harding (YP3d) - The new forward and scored two, fantastic, will be first choice.

Player of the Season

Jabarry Prescod - Top goalscorer, best performer and totally exceeded expectations. Great season from the winger and I'm hoping for more.

Thoughts

Overall, it was a brilliant season despite the ending, we fought to the end and secured an unlikely berth. I can only hope after a good intake that we can build on this, there is going to be a slight turn around in personnel, most notably upfront. Beyond that I am looking forward to another positive season.

Liking the idea of this, it will be interesting to see if the Caribbean nations benefit from this in international football. Good luck for next season!

Much appreciated, it's fun and helps my fascination with Caribbean nations :D.

As a side note, I have played the season following this but haven't been able to update as I have no internet at home.

Season 18/19 Preview

Off we go again!

34t2udj.jpg

They reckon we are now a comfortable mid-table team, after last seasons surprise run to the play-offs however, I am expecting and aiming for better. This is a team capable to putting up a fight.

:applause:

August/September/October 18

So we charge onwards into another hectic season in the glorious hope that we can somehow begin to make our way up the English pyramid, how have we faired so far?

11uuu6c.jpg

Not too bloody bad at all! Admittedly going out of the FA Cup was a hammer blow, but, our league form has been pretty darn good. Being able to pull together some rather significant wins over the course of the opening months and giving ourselves the necessary base to improve upon.

11mbaqq.jpg

This leaves us in a lovely position battling it out for a top spot, lovely position to be in at this point of the season.

Stars

Gerard Basquiat (YP1e) - The Haitian has been instrumental in the start to this season, Shane Harding can't hit a barndoor so thankfully Gerard has stepped up.

Zari Mottley (YP0h) - Picking up where he left off, he has been brilliant so far.

November/December/January 18/19

Ploughing through the Christmas period, I hoped that we would continue striving to continue our form, being able to challenge at the top where it's needed.

2h64ppg.jpg

Hmm, not fantastic by any means, more dropped points if anything rather than any real sign that we are finding ourselves in some kind of consistency. 1 win in our last 6 gives an accurate impression of this season.

30vn7k6.jpg

Slipped away from the top spots due to this dropped points but safe enough in the play-offs which will be good enough for this season.

Stars

Raheim Samuel (YP0k) - Kept us going with some impressive performances in this period.

Horace Boyce (YP1d) - Rose the occasion and earned himself a few caps for his country in the mean time, brilliant.

February/March/April/May 19

The business end of the year, time to knuckle down, grind out some results and make our hard work over the season count.

bj436.jpg

:mad:.

Couldn't hit a damn barndoor.

20peq2b.jpg

Say no more, we bottled it and ended up finishing up outside of the play-off, the two victories at the end providing some minor gloss to what was an extremely poor end to the season.

Stars

There were none.

Season Review 18/19

Welp, it was a frustrating end to the season, we had it in our hands and then let it slip right through our grasps. Absolutely pitiful if truth be told, totally frustrated by this outcome.

20peq2b.jpg

FA Trophy - 1st round (0-3 v Boreham Wood)

FA Cup - 3rd round Qualifying (0-2 Tonbridge)

Such a frustrating season. Not great at all.

Squad

Transfers

Youth Products

Jabarry Holder (YP0a) - We tick when he plays, he's just so damn injury prone.

Elsid Burgess (YP0e) - Ever present yet again, not as solid as before but proved useful as always.

Zari Mottley (YP0h) - Decent season from the winger.

Luther Nurse (YP0j) - Nothing much, will be released

Raheim Samuel (YP0k) - The shining light of the season, brilliant throughout, solidly spectacular.

Stephen Joseph (YP1a) - Injuries will spell the end of him sadly, frustrating

Rashad Highland (YP1b) - Actually a solid season for the midfielder.

Luther Williams (YP1c) - Didn't do much when he actually played.

Horace Boyce (YP1d) - Performed great at the start but faded towards the end of the season.

Gerard Basquiat (YP1h) - Led the line and performed alright, top scorer, but we need better.

Anton Mitchell (YP2a) - Decent enough from the young Trini.

Daryl Holligan (YP2b) - Not sure what to make of him, looks like he could be more useful further up the pitch.

Riviere King (YP2c) - Young and improved in a tough position over the season.

Julian Darlington (YP2d) - Backup keeper

Trevor Weir (YP3a) - Drafted in after some injuries and performed well, will have a part this season.

Bryan Steele (YP3b) - Flattered to deceive, attributes say he should be great but it just isn't happening for him.

Jomo Taylor (YP3c) - Good backup for now

Shane Harding (YP3d) - So so so so disappointing.

Kithson Joseph (YP3e) - Called in when injuries struck, did alright did the young Grenadian.

Player of the Season

Raheim Samuel (YP0k) - As mentioned already, was brilliant.

Thoughts

Poor end to the season culminated in a horrid feeling. I believe my tactics have held me back on this sadly and I'll be going back to the drawing board. I believe I need to be more attacking, thinking of reverting to an attacking 4-2-3-1 with Jabarry as the main offense, we have the talent in this squad to do it.

Archived