Three strikers...

Does anyone have experience playing with a 4-3-3 with three strikers? I'm having decent success with it in the Vanarama South, largely because I tend to have so many players in the box to pick up ricochets (beautiful football, it ain't). My tactic is fairly basic, but basically involves whamming the ball in to them as quickly as possible - direct passing, faster tempo, early crosses, pump ball into box, and I adjust defensive line/width depending on the opposition. At the moment I have them lining up like this:

DF(D)---TM(S)---(AF)A

-------------------------

CM(S)---DLP(D)---BWM(S)

---------------------------

FB(S)--CD(D)--CD(D)--WB(S)

What I'm finding difficult is getting the right balance for it. If the Advanced Forward isn't in the centre, he always seems to end up stuck too far out wide - I don't want him crossing when he's my best finisher. But I don't want the Target Man out wide either. If I play a DLF instead of a Target Man would he get in the way of the DF? Could I even play an AF and a P if I'm looking to play solely on the counter?

Obviously, any other pointers for the rest of the team would be appreciated too!

Dlf might get in his way yea but df(if given a def duty presses the enemy midfield) will come even more behind compared to dlf to either get the ball or help the team pressure, but dlf links the attack with the midfield more solidly.So either change ur TM with DLF and rearrange their position(put AF central and DLF on the right and specifically not in front of ur advanced midfield player to conserve space) or ur gonna have one chaotic attacking setup.Also post up ur TI's pls.Major help will assist me and even more to push u in the right direction.

My system is:

DF(d)----AF(a)-----DLF(s)

CM(s)----CM(d)----CM(s)

WB(d)-----CB(x)-----CB©----WB(d)

Works quite well for me.Ask w/e questions u got.I will be up for a couple more hours.

EDIT:You can use the Complete Forward role in place of AF as well.

If you are "looking to play solely on the counter" as you say, then using 3 strikers may not be the best way of going about it. Further, the TIs that you set will determine how your team will play when you are not "on the counter", which is most of the time. The idea of counter attacking is to sit deep to draw the opposition onto you before hitting them on the break using runners from deep to overwhelm their defence. With 3 advanced players in your team, you won't be drawing many opposition players out as they will be hanging back to mark your strikers.

So what you are actually doing at the moment is telling your team to hoof the ball up to your target man as fast as they can when not counter attacking (due to your TI settings), and then hope you are also going to play on the counter at other times - which will be difficult when you have 3 strikers.

If you really want to play counter attacking football, read through Cleon's counter attacking thread. Alternatively, if you want to carry on playing the direct long ball game that will be aimed at your target man (nothing wrong with that !), then consider how everyone else will behave around that central figure.

Thanks guys. Two games left of first season, need four points from last two games to win the league. Changed the DF (D) to DF (S) and found myself scoring more but still staying solid - had a long unbeaten run mid-season full of 1-0s and 1-1s. And I massively upgraded my AF with 10 games to go and he's scored a goal a game!

Interesting what you say about counter-attacking. Was wondering why I'd scored so few from counters! Will (hopefully) see how I get on in the Conference next year - will definitely need a much better Target Man.

I've managed to develop a really successful possession based 4-3-3 with 3 strikers. I play like this;

-------AF(a)----F9(s)-----AF(a)

-------AP(a)--------B2B(s)

--------------RP(s)

FB(S)---CB(d)---CB(d)---FB(s)

I play attacking and fluid, with a high line, high tempo and short passing. I find it keeps the ball well and creates a lot of chances, I can be vulnerable to pacey counter-attacking sides, but generally mange to out score other teams.

Archived