Help with my 4-1-2-2-1

OK been having issues with getting the right formation for my Hearts save. I decided on a 4-1-2-2-1 and started with a promising 1-0 win away at 3rd placed Inverness. I've yet to analyse the match to see where I've gone right or if indeed I've got lucky with a one off win.

On the face of it it seemed a good win but not being a tactical guru by any stretch i wasnt going to be fooled easily into thinking id masterminded the win by anything other than an accident.

Basicially the thing that has alarmed me straight off is that i was dominated and seemed to have been rather lucky to escape with a 1-0 win. I have posted my tactic and TIs below so that someone in the know may point out where i might be going wrong before i dig any deeper a "tactical hole" for myself!

GQoGs9R.png

YuIyvgF.png

I have a couple of ideas myself but would be interested if said "in the knowers" could shed light for me.

I think the main issue looks like the relationship between midfield and the forward line; I can't see an obvious means of creating a goal. The wing backs on Support are my favourite wide defensive players, but they are noticeably more reserved than more attacking wide defenders. As such, there's limited immediate supply down the flanks, and the MC pair lacks true thrust. Be braver at MC - I'd change the BBM to a CM (A) and maybe consider changing the player on that flank to something else if he and the CM (A) risk operating in the same spaces.

Thanks RT.

You're bang on in terms of i cant seem to get numbers forward so im constantly on the back foot.

So in summary if get a more fluid relationship between back and front then i shouldnt find myself being dominated so much?

Thanks RT.

You're bang on in terms of i cant seem to get numbers forward so im constantly on the back foot.

So in summary if get a more fluid relationship between back and front then i shouldnt find myself being dominated so much?

It partly depends on how you want to attack. WB (S) players are absolutely fine if you want them primarily as a sort of second wave of attack; they mightn't bust a gut and fly up the wings, but they're good recycling options if things look a bit congested in the middle (also good because you can tell them to play Fewer Risky Passes and Cross Less Often - useful if you want to reduce low percentage passes). I would probably make a change at a time and start with getting a CM (A) in the middle.

Honestly it could well be just the lack of a play maker of some kind, or the lack of an (A) in that trio. You could well be dominating but if your players aren't getting 'good' chances then they won't be putting away the numbers to reflect a domination. I agree with what was said on a CM(A) as this is another man arriving in the box, but putting in either a AP or DLP would have someone actually playing these passes to create them 'good' opportunities. You could even experiment with the wide playmaker if you wanted to stick with your midfield trio, its all good fun after all!

I think control with higher tempo doesn't work. Also I would use fullbacks with attack duty since you have an anchorman. But your main problem is your midfield. I use an anchorman myself but you need creativity in midfield which you don't have. You could usen a AP-attack and a DLP next to him with defense duty.

Archived