I'm signing a player on a free transfer, but 55% of him is owned by an agent?

Robert Berger is nearing the end of his contract at his current club, and I'm signing him on a free transfer. I'm not sure if I have ever before signed a player who is partly owned by an agent, and the details of the deal are somewhat badly explained on the confirmation screen.

What does this mean:

berger_set_to_sign.png~original

Only £16.5K will actually be deducted from my tranfer budget, and only if I purchase the agent's stake?

If you play in South America, it's not unusual to see players who are 100% owned by their agents. In real life this happens and basically means the players are technically loaned to each club, in FM it means you have the players contracted but when you eventually sell them, no matter what the transfer fee you won't see a penny. Pretty annoying when it is a young star and you could make 5m+ for him with a European move.

1.29m for the agents stake, 1.29m + 16.5k for the whole player.

This seems to be correct.

Its a bit confusing when the info on the screen plainly states that £1.29M will be deducted from the transfer budget eventhough its not going to happen unless the agent is bought out. To add to the confusion the agent's demand is rounded up to £1.3M, and thus obfuscates that the earlier mentioned £1.29M is actually the same price of the same stake.

The layout of that message is rather messy due to the 5th line of text as there's no need for it in that example. I'm also surprised that the board are allowing you to confirm the deal given that it'll cost over £1m more than your current transfer budget.

The £1.29M is in brackets, so I guess it is negative.

To me the whole thing seems confusing. If the agent thinks his stake is worth £1.3M, then how is it decided that it is actually worth only £16.5K? And if it is worth £16.5K, then why do I need to have the larger sum in the bank to afford to buy the agent's stake (£200K was not enough to purchase it)?

Perhaps my questions are becoming humorous, but if one deducts a negative number it actually means that a positive number is added? So if the deal could go through, what is the source of the deducted negative £1.29M (ie added £1.29M)?

Archived